Four

Back to the Past

"Come in!" I hear after I knock on his front door. I twist the knob with one hand to let myself in and carry a bottle of alcohol in the other.

"Leah!" Chase, Alex's best friend and roommate yells from across the kitchen. "You're here! Now we can really get this party started!" He runs up to me to hug me and I hug him back.

"Woah, hands off my girl, alright?" Alex sarcastically antagonizes him and comes over to meet me.

"She's all yours," Chase says with his hands up as he backs away.

"Come on, let's join the others," I say as I pull away from him, grabbing his hand and joining the others in the kitchen.

"Time to play catch up," Alex's friend Ryan says as he pours me a shot. "One shot for being one hour late."

"Fine," I say, taking the shot from his hand and swallowing the poison in the tiny glass. It burns as it goes down my throat and I desperately reach for anything to cover up the taste. The only thing in sight is Alex's mixed drink in his hand so I grab it and gulp it down. I guess I'm going hard tonight.

-

"Easy Leah. One more step," Alex says as he supports me in my struggle up the stairs to his room.

I flop down on the bed and do my best to voice the thoughts going on in my head. "I think I drank a littleeee too much."

"Hmm. Is that why you're mumbling? I thought that was just one of your quirks," he says as he puts the covers over me and lies down next to me, planting a soft kiss on my head.

-

I wake up alone in his bed, my head aching and my stomach churning.

Oh god. What happened last night? And where is Alex?

Speak of the devil, Alex walks in with aspirin and a glass of water. "Rough night?"

"How can you tell?" I sarcastically reply, rubbing my head and looking into the mirror across the room. I look like shit. My makeup is smudged under my eyes, my hair is a mess, and my complexion is pale.

"Take these," he says, dropping the aspirin in my hand. "I'll make some breakfast while you get some rest."