Chapter Fifteen

Naomi sat around her small dining room table eating shrimp alfredo. She stared at the phone number that was written on the paper.

She typed it into her iPhone eight plus and then it started ringing.

"Hello," the male voice on the other end answered,

"Uh- Hi" she replied internally slapping herself for stuttering.

"I think you have the wrong number," the person said about to hang up.

"No, it's Naomi" she answered.

"Naomi?" the person said in shock.

"Who is it?" she could hear someone asking in the background.

"She said her name is Naomi" he tried whispering.

There were a few grunts in the background before a female voice answered.

"Naomi, is that you?" the lady asked.

"Yes it is me and who are you?" she asked as nice as possible.

"You don't remember me?" the lady asks and Naomi came to a conclusion.

"You're Monica" Naomi replied.

"I am your mother," Monica said not liking how Naomi addressed her.

"Oh," Naomi replied not knowing what to say.

"Is that all you are going to say?" Monica asked surprised.

"What do you want me to ask? I am still not comfortable with you" Naomi said with all honesty.

"I understand, I just thought you would be firing questions at me," she said with a shrug although Naomi could not see her.

"I will do that if I decide to visit you in Atlanta," Naomi said causing Monica to start choking.

"You okay mom?" she heard the same male voice ask.

"Yes," she said before Naomi interrupted her.

"It was nice talking to you, feel free to call me," Naomi said before hanging up not waiting for a response.

She did not understand how her parents gave her up but kept her siblings. With a shrug, she took finished her meal, and after she cleaned the kitchen head to the bathroom to take a bath.

Naomi was still in denial about how far she came. If it was not for Josiah she would still be on the street or dead.

Naomi made herself a bubble bath and sat a bottle of wine next to her on the floor.

The wine was a gift from Rosa the day she left the Maelburn mansion.

She poured herself a drink and sat in the tub relaxing when she started feeling like something was crawling on her legs.

A scream left her mouth as she jumped out of the tub almost slipping due to the soap on her body. She stood looking over the tub for movements, but there was none.

She let all the water out and saw that there was nothing in the tub.

A sigh escaped her lips and she remembered when a similar event happened.

FLASHBACK

"You need to take your shower right now" Oma the mother of the orphanage told Naomi and her friends.

"But this is not the time that we normally take showers," Cassy one of her friends said.

"Yea" They all cosigned.

"Do you want to be punished? Do not talk back to me child" she said staring at them.

"Yes, mother," they all said and ran up the stairs of the orphanage.

Naomi and Cassy both went to the showers next to each other. They were unaware of the troublesome bullies that had made their way in the shower room.

"Cassy, I can't wait until am adopted," Naomi said.

"Me too and then we can have ice cream, "Cassy said with a big grin.

"Sorry to break it to you but nobody wants you," Laurel said laughing.

Before Cassy and Naomi could say anything something fell right on to them.

"Ahhh" Naomi screamed when she recognized the thing. It was a small snake. She made a run for the door grabbing her towel and she heard Cassy screaming and then footsteps followed.

They quickly ran to the room where their other friends were waiting.

"Are you okay?" they asked when the slammed the door shut.

"Lau-l-laurel" was all Naomi managed to get out before she fell on her bed.

FLASHBACK ENDS

The funny thing about it was the fact that Naomi and Cassy were the ones that were punished.

They both received ten whips for disturbance and they also had to stand outside holding rocks.

Naomi entered the shower and washed her body with her favorite vanilla scent.

She did the night routine that she recently adapted to since she moved in.

She never had a skincare routine or the products to use.

Naomi had received her very first check and she was shocked by how much she was paid.

Once she finished her routine she went to bed. She was not sleepy, so she decided to watch Annie.

Her phone went off saying that she got a text from Monica.

She told her goodnight and that she couldn't wait to meet her in person.

Naomi rolled her eyes and continued to watch the movie. She was not going to behave as if everything was good between them because it is not.

As much as Naomi wanted to forgive them she could not find it in her heart to do so. She was angry at them for what they did to her and put her through by leaving her at the orphanage.

Her phone started ringing and she snatched it from beside her and answered.

"What?" she shouted not looking at the caller Id.

"Is this a bad time?" she heard Josiah's voice at the end causing her to freeze.

"I am so sorry Mr. Maelburn, I thought you were someone else" she replied with an embarrassed look.

"I figured that much" Josiah responded.

"Did you need something?" she asks not wanting to form some type of awkward tension.

"Yes. I would like for you to email all the employees and let them know the meeting is rescheduled for eight tomorrow morning" he said.

"Yes sir I will get it done" she replied.

"Good" he answered and silence took over.

"Well have a good night Mr. Maelburn," she said when it became too quiet.

"You too Naomi," he said causing a shiver down her spine.

"Damn" she muttered forgetting that she was still on the phone.

She heard laughing on the other end and quickly hanged up the phone.

"Oh shit".