Chapter Nine

Naomi stepped out of the taxi and adjusted her skirt. It stuck to her body like a glove. She stared ahead at the large building before making her way inside.

"Good morning," she said to the receptionist who replied with a kind smile.

"Are you ready for your first day Naomi?" Sam, the receptionist asked.

"As ready as I will ever be" she replied before waiting for Josiah's arrival.

Margo officially left the corporation, her husband chemotherapy was going great and thanks to Mr. Maelburn the cost was no issue.

"Good morning Mr. Maelburn," Sam said once she saw him and Naomi quickly joined.

"Good morning Ms. Bueller, Ms. Campbell" he replied.

"See you at lunch," Naomi said to Sam as she followed Josiah to the elevator.

She stayed quiet as they made their way to the tenth floor.

Josiah wanted to say anything to break the silence but he did not want to make things more awkward.

They finally made it to their offices which were right next to each other.

"Prepare your desk and come to my office once you are done," he said entering his office.

Naomi made her way to her office and looked at the changes that were made.

There were no longer pictures of Margo and her family and the desk was switched.

She took a look at the view that she had and was beautiful. She could see the corner cafe along with some small boutiques.

She placed her desk in a way that she would understand it. She divided the files in alphabetical order and used sticky notes to remind her.

After she finished she made her way through the shared door that led to Josiah's office.

"Mr. Maelburn" she called his name to notify him of our presence.

"These are some files for a new project that we are working on. I want you to call each of these numbers and negotiate a deal for them to invest" he said and she nodded taking the files.

"Is that all?" she asked.

"No, I have my coffee at ten every morning. The cafe across the street has my usual order so all you need to do is pick it up" he continued.

"Great so I am also an errand boy" she muttered under her breath.

"Did you say something?" Josiah ask.

"No sir, your coffee will be delivered to you at 10 a.m sharp," she said before leaving.

She started working on the calls and after thirty minutes she was only a quarter of the way.

She looked at the time on her clock and saw that it was 9:45 a.m. She quickly left her office and made her way to the elevator.

When the elevator made it to the first floor she walked outside towards the cafe.

She walked into the cafe and the alarm went signaling another customer.

She made her way to the cashier and asked for his order.

"Order for Josiah Maelburn," she said and they stared at her.

"You are not Margo," the cashier said causing her to roll her eyes.

"I am Mr. Maelburn's new assistant" Naomi replied looking over at the clock.

She had eight minutes left and with the attitude she was receiving, she would not be able to do it on time.

"We will need to check with Josiah first," the lady said causing other workers to stand behind her.

"Look I don't care what you need to do, I came here for his coffee" she replied with some attitude.

~

Josiah stared at his phone as the time said 10:05 a.m. Naomi was supposed to be back five minutes ago.

He looked at the camera that is connected to her office and realized she was nowhere in sight.

He called the front desk and Sam answered.

"Did Ms. Campbell pass by earlier?" he asks.

"Yes sir, she went into the cafe but has not returned" Sam responded.

"Thank you, Sam," he said before hanging up.

Josiah left his office after locking it and made his way to the elevator.

He walked into the lobby and looked to see if Naomi was back. He made his way to the cafe where he saw Naomi's figure standing.

She seemed to be in a heated argument with the worker.

"Why would I lie about being his assistant?" she shouted not paying attention to who came through the door.

"Mr. Maelburn" she heard the rude worker say. She turned around and came in contact with Josiah.

"I have been here requesting your order but they refused to give it to me," Naomi said waiting for his reply.

"So she is your assistant?" the embarrassed worker asked.

"Yes," Josiah answered before placing a hand on Naomi's shoulder.

"You can go back to the office and I will handle this," he told her and she nodded.

The whole altercation had put her in a bad mood for the rest of the day.

Lunchtime soon came and she left the building with Sam and went to one of the restaurants owned by the company.

"How was your first day so far?" Sam asks Naomi to take a sip of her tea.

"It was going great but then I had an altercation at the cafe" she replied.

"How is your day going?" Naomi asked.

"Great. I think Mr. Maelburn has taken a liking towards me" she said causing Naomi to freeze.

"Oh, why do you say that?" she asks growing interest.

~

Josiah sat in his office eating his lunch in silence. He remembered the days when Bianca would join him for lunch.

Bianca.

He has not seen or spoken to Bianca since the stunt she pulled at the dinner party.

James had resorted to sending threats to Josiah who only ignored him. He made it clear that he does not want to take over the family business.

"Hello Hello, my lovely brother," Blake said barging into his office.

"Oh no," Josiah said causing Blake to laugh.

"Stop the acting. You are very happy to see me big brother" Blake said with a laugh.

"What is it that you want?" he said with an exasperating sigh.

"I saw you on the tabloids with the jewelry thief," he said causing Josiah to become serious.

"She was not the one who stole it. It was Bianca" he said with a hard tone.

"Speaking of Bianca, rumors has it that her agency let her go because she is pregnant. And it's yours".