Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Ana's POV

Running away, that's all I could do. My cheek still stung from his strong hand, panting heavily as I ran down the streets.

Turning a corner and making sure he wasn't following me, I wiped a tear from my eye and pulled out my phone, calling the one person I could trust.

"Lou?" I asked as he answered on the first ring, as if I wasn't sure it'd be him.

"Anna? Are you alright?" he asked, concern in his voice.

"I...it's just...can you come pick me up?" I asked frantically, running a hand through my dark hair.

"Yeah, are you home?" He asked, I could here him moving about his room, grabbing his keys.

"No. I'm near the park...I think. Please hurry, it's dark." I said, fear rising up in my voice. He knew of my fear of the dark.

"Okay just calm down." He said.

"Don't forget your permit." I said as I heard him start the car. "If you got pulled over it'd be better to have that than nothing."

"I know Ana. I'm on my way. Just don't hang up the phone till I get there. What happened?"

"My dad. He came home drunk and...and he hit me." I said, closing my eyes as the memory repeated itself in my mind.

"What?!" He yelled, and I could here his car accelerate somewhere in the distance.

Suddenly he pulled up in his mom's red Subaru. The passenger door opened and I climbed inside, the smell of warm apple cinnamon calming me down.

"He hurt you?" Lou said as soon as I got inside. His hair was much longer than it is now, and his face not as mature.

"He was drunk, he was talking about Dustin, and blaming me. Then..then he hit me." I said as a tear slipped. Lou stopped the car in the middle of the road and wrapped me in a hug.

"It's okay Anna, it's okay." He repeated over and over as I cried myself dry. I felt like such a baby, but I never thought my dad would do something like that.

"Do you know where he went?" Lou asked after I calmed down. I sniffled and wiped my nose on my sweatshirt sleeve.

"Um, probably back to the bar.." I said. He did a U-turn in the middle of the street and started driving in the direction of the nearest bar.

"Lou we really don't have to, I just want to go home." I said, tugging on his arm, begging him to turn around.

"And let that bastard get away with hurting my best friend? I don't think so." He growled out as we continued speeding down the empty streets.

I was scared. In my fourteen years of knowing Louis, never had I seen him this angry, this hate filled, this much in need of revenge. Usually things just blew over him, he didn't care what people did or thought.

We pulled into the bar parking lot.

"How do you plan on getting inside?" I asked as soon as I saw the usher standing at the entrance.

"Oh silly little naïve Anna, have you ever met me?" He asked, shaking his head back and forth with a slight smile. He pulled out his wallet and showed me a fake ID.

"That's great, but what about me?" I said, pointing to myself, "Call me crazy, but I don't exactly look 18."

"Simple. Go to the fire exit, I'll let you in." He said before slipping out of his car and into the night. I rolled my eyes before getting out myself and heading towards the back.