Visits (Korvira)

A/n to be honest I wasn't gonna do this one because how do I even begin to write this? But then I saw some fanart and read a couple of Korvira one-shots and I think I know how to go about it now. Here you go @xcascadex and sorry for almost not doing your prompt

.

.

.

Three months had passed since the "Day of Colossus," as Kuvira had heard people were calling it now. She was locked in solitary confinement, where she was serving a life sentence in an Earth Kingdom prison.

Earth Kingdom... she thought, it isn't even a kingdom anymore!

True to his word, Prince Wu had dissolved the monarchy and instilled a system of democracy, in which there were elected officials as well as a President running the show. But for some reason, rather than calling it the Republic of Earth or Earth Democracy or something that actually made sense, whoever was in charge of the process had elected to revert to the old name. Perhaps they were trying to avoid confusion, Kuvira didn't know.

"Not that it matters to me, I'm never getting out of here..." she muttered.

There was a creak and a bang as the heavy wooden door, oak to prevent bending, opened and shut. Footsteps echoed on the ground, and soon a familiar figure stood across from her.

"What took you so long?" She asked. The figure laughed.

"Naga got hungry, so she took it upon herself to veer off track in search of food. Sorry," She said with a smile, which Kuvira returned. The Avatar sat cross-legged across from the former dictator, the thick wooden bars separating them.

"So how have things been in here?" Korra asked, already knowing the answer. Kuvira arched an eyebrow.

"How do you think? I never get to leave this room." she replied. Korra smirked.

"Well, maybe not for much longer. It may take awhile, but I'm petitioning to get you exercise days. If all goes well, you'll get out of here once a week! Maybe more!"

A drop of water landed on the prisoner's brow. She glanced up. The dripping had begun again, it seemed. Great. One more thing to slowly drive her mad.

Then she shifted her gaze back to the Avatar. Korra was wearing a lopsided grin, which Kuvira might have found endearing under normal circumstances. But here, now, she just wondered why the woman bothered. Unintentionally, she voiced the question aloud. Korra shrugged in response, her grin growing a little less lopsided in the process.

"Because I like you! You remind me of myself. I don't think you deserve to sit in a cage for the rest of your life with no sunlight in a room that smells like mulch!"

Kuvira sniffed the air. She didn't smell anything, though she'd probably just grown accustomed to the stench. Korra seemed to read her expression. She stuck her tongue out and wrinkled her nose in disgust.

"It's there, trust me."

Then she launched into her regular report of everything going on outside. They'd finally gotten to tour the Fire Nation for airbenders, and the amount was somewhat startling. In the confusion and disarray that had plagued the aftermath of Zaheer's mess, they'd completely neglected the Fire Nation airbenders. Sure, many made the trip to Air Temple Island and the other temples when they could, but not everyone could afford the journey. Plus, Korra had never been to the Fire Nation before, not counting the time she washed up on an island there around Harmonic Convergence.

"It's so beautiful! I can't believe I never went sooner! A little hot for my tastes, but Asami loved it."

Kuvira internally cringed at the mention of the Avatar's girlfriend. She wasn't sure why, but whenever Asami was brought up there was a tinge of jealousy. Not that she would ever share that information.

Soon the visit was over, and Korra stood to leave. She'd almost made it out the door before Kuvira called her name. She backtracked and looked on expectantly. The metalbender stared at the ground, a tinge of red barely apparent on her face, before meeting the Avatar's eyes.

"Thank you," she said, barely audible. Korra's expression softened.

"That's what I'm here for."