Parenting (Kataang)

A/n Kataang for @starlinestories, who requested "Kataang or Tokka or both." So, since I have no life and nothing to do, I'm gonna do both 

.

.

.

"Aang, I know Tenzin needs to be trained, but you have got to spend more time with Kya and Bumi. They're beginning to think you don't care about them!" Katara told her husband for the hundredth time. Ever since his airbender was born, the Avatar had begun to all but neglect his other children. He was always going off on trips with Tenzin and leaving his oldest two behind to ask their mother why he didn't love them.

But unfortunately, he didn't see this. He didn't see the sadness in Kya's eyes when her Dad didn't come to kiss her on the forehead before she went to sleep for the twentieth time that month. He didn't see the hurt look on Bumi's face as the boy was denied a sword fight once again because Daddy was too busy airbending with Tenzin. He never noticed the pain as his children watched their father and brother take off on Appa for yet another super secret airbender holiday.

Aang didn't see it, but Katara did, and she was determined to do something about it.

"I spend plenty of time with them! Just the other day I had a sword fight with Bumi! And afterwards Kya and I had a water fight!" He reminded her. She rolled her eyes.

"That was two years ago, Aang! You're always too busy teaching Tenzin silly airbending tricks to pay any attention to them!"

Aang's pride was hurt. Were his airbending tricks traditional? No. Were they necessarily crucial to learning the art? Probably not. But they most certainly were not silly!

"They are not silly! They are important pieces of Air Nomad culture!" He declared. Katara rolled her eyes again.

"Air scooters and spinning marbles are NOT important pieces of Air Nomad culture."

Aang couldn't think of anything to reply with. His wife actually did have a point. Perhaps he did spend a little more time with Tenzin than he did with Kya and Bumi. Come to think of it, when was the last time he'd even spoken to his oldest children?

"Oh Spirits, Katara you're right! I am a terrible father!" He cried, sinking to his knees on the bedroom floor and burying his face in this hands. With a sigh, Katara knelt beside her husband and folded her arms around him.

"Oh, calm down, crybaby. You're not a terrible father. You just got... carried away." She said as she patted him on the back and kissed his cheek.

"But what kind of father can't even remember the last time he's spoken to his children?"

Katara grabbed him by the chin and tilted his head up and met her eyes.

"Listen to me," she said, "anyone as busy as you can easily forget that. Zuko probably hasn't spoken to Honora all month! And we all know Toph isn't exactly the most attentive mother around. Did you overdo it with the 'airbending learning trips?' Probably. Did you hurt our children by not being present in their lives? most definitely. But believe me, there are worse things you can do. Zuko's face is a testimony to that. Now, get up and go spend the rest of the day with Kya and Bumi!"

Aang smiled at his wife's pep talk. She always knew just what to say. Katara returned his grin before standing and helping him up.

"Thanks, sweetheart" he said, pecking her on the lips and running off to Bumi and Kya's rooms. Katara smirked to herself.

I wonder when he'll realize it's eleven o'clock at night.

.

.

.

A/n (I wrote this before we learned Izumi's name, and for the sake of nostalgia And a general sense of "it's my fanfiction and I can do what I want with it" I'm not changing it.)