Flirt (Kainora)

A/n Kainora for @KainoraismyOTP because their prompt sounded interesting. Although I aged them up a bit to make Opal's part less awkward.

.

.

.

It was a lovely day over the Fire Nation. The birds were flying happily in the clear air, the clouds were practically nonexistent, and a warm breeze blew comfortably against Opal's face. Beside her, Kai flew belly-up, lazily crossing his legs and folding his hands behind his head. Opal chuckled. It amazed her how easy he was to be around.

Much easier than her own boyfriend.

Her smile faded as her thoughts drifted to Bolin. How could a 27-year-old man act so childish? Honestly, it was like dating a three-year-old.

"You know, you look really nice today."

Kai blushed. "Thanks."

She landed in the village they were destined for, with him right behind her. The people were being terrorized by a group of bandits, and Jinora's group needed backup.

"About time you got here," Jinora called, a big grin on her face. Kai shrugged.

"We ran into some air traffic. It's like all of the birds in the world got together to get in our way."

Jinora giggled. "Well, it's good you're here now. Follow me."

She led them to the town square, where the other airbenders were waiting. They were briefed, and a plan was made to take down the bandits. At nightfall, when they attacked, the airbenders moved all of the village's money to the statue standing in the middle of the town square. When the bandits got there, they descended from their hiding places on rooftops, in trees, etc. and encircled them. From there, they created a whirlwind that lifted them all into the air and dropped them, promptly knocking them all unconscious and sending their various weapons flying. They were then tied up and brought to the nearest prison. Once victorious, the village and it's heroes held an impromptu celebration.

"You were amazing, Kai," Opal said during the victory party, "I don't see how you haven't gotten your tattoos yet."

Kai blushed again. "Thanks, Opal. It's only a matter of time. I have a great teacher."

He glanced over at Jinora, who was happily chatting with a villager. Opal smiled.

"Jinora's great. But teachers only do so much. Your skill is what really makes you spectacular!"

A few feet away, Jinora glanced over. Opal and Kai were talking, but not in the animated way they usually spoke to each other. And there was a look in Opal's eye that Jinora wasn't sure she liked...

Kai looked at his feet and blushed while Opal went on about something. That was all Jinora needed to see. Flirting with her boyfriend? Not acceptable. She barely tried to hide her annoyance as she made her way over.

"--and that flying kick was incredible! I wish I could do that," Opal was saying. Kai was getting rather tired of her awkward flirting. They were partners, and it was weird. She probably didn't even realize she was doing it. Luckily, Jinora came to his rescue.

"Hey Opal, may I steal my boyfriend for a second?" She asked, with only a slight emphasis on the word 'boyfriend.' Opal didn't seem to notice.

"Sure, go ahead!" She said cheerily as Jinora pulled him away.

"Has she been like that all day?" She asked. Kai shrugged.

"More or less."

"What's up with her?"

"She and Bolin had a fight. Something about him being childish."

Jinora chuckled. "If he's too childish then why would she flirt with you?"

Kai feigned offense. Jinora giggled and shoved him. The night spun away in a blur of laughter and talking, and all was well with the world.