Battles (Zhurrick)

A/n Zhurrick for @annabethgranger who wants this as well as a Tokka fic. 

.

.

.

He really was totally and utterly lost without her.

The man couldn't even tie his own shoes anymore! It was rather alarming to him how dependent he'd grown to be on her.

He still couldn't believe she'd left him. He'd never seen it coming. He always thought she'd follow him anywhere.

"Varrick, if we want to beat Kuvira, we need to get this cannon ready." Bolin said, snapping him from his trance.

He and the kid were working on a weapon to take down Kuvira. Not the spirit vine laser he'd built for the "Great Uniter," he refused to put together that death machine, but it would still do considerable damage to the other side.

"Right," he muttered, grabbing the nearest wrench and twisting a nut into place.

A few weeks later, the battle was in full swing. The United Forces had assembled to its full power in the hopes of taking out the metalbending tyrant. So far, the armies were locked in a stalemate. Varrick was positioned behind the middle line, where a row of his new cannons was assembled. He ran back and forth, making sure they worked properly, checking that they weren't jammed.

Bolin came running up to him, panting and sweating. He had a small burn on his forearm, probably from some slightly mishandled lava.

"Varrick! They need your help on the mechatanks!" He shouted. Varrick's expression set in a hard line. The mechatanks were on the front lines. He'd be exposing himself to some real danger. But there was no time to worry about himself. He had to fix those tanks.

"I'm coming!" He called, running after the earthbender as he led him down to the front.

The battle wasn't pretty. There were crushed mechatanks everywhere, as well as dark fluids running down the ruts left by the tanks and puddling on the ground. He couldn't tell oil from blood at this point.

"What's the problem?" He asked. Bolin pointed to several mechatanks, all moving in short jerky motions and not really getting anywhere.

"They're stalling," he explained.

Varrick nodded. He could fix this. His eyes scanned the area and rested on Asami Sato, already on her knees loosening a bolt in one suit. Their eyes met and a curt nod was exchanged between them.

"Alright, let's get these fixed!"

Varrick stuck a wrench between his teeth and, with a spring in his step brought on by urgency, jumped up onto the nearest tank and opened a panel on the back. He twisted a few knobs, tightened a few bolts, and banged it with his fist a few times. He then closed the panel and jumped down. The tank returned to normal.

With a nod of satisfaction, he moved to work on the next one.

He and Asami working together got most of the mechatanks back in working order. A few times an enemy tank broke the lines and came within threat distance, but they were dispatched quickly by allies.

Varrick was working on one of the last tanks when the call rang out:

"The Great Uniter is dead!"

For a long while, the battle continued, neither side believing the decree. But eventually, the Earth Empire soldiers began a retreat. The UF declined to follow, seeing no point. They were still an even match for the opposing forces, whether they were retreating or not. And besides, no one wanted to risk this being a false retreat.

"What just happened?" Bolin asked. The soldiers were looking around, murmurs exchanged.

Could it be true?

Was she really...?

Suddenly Varrick felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned around and his jaw dropped.

"Zhu Li...?" He cried, incredibly startled. His former assistant pressed a frantic finger to her lips and pulled Varrick around the side of a fallen mechatank.

"What are you doing here, traitor?" Varrick asked, with more hurt than venom. Zhu Li grinned at him. Actually grinned at him. This was a first for Varrick.

"You didn't think I would actually turn on you, did you sir?" She asked. His eyes lit up.

"Hahaha! I knew you wouldn't abandon me, Zhu Li!"

The woman once again pressed a finger to her lips.

"I need to get to General Iroh's tent. I have important news for him. But if anyone sees me, I'll be cut down for treason. Can you get me in a mechatank?" She asked. Varrick smirked.

"I think I can work something out."

Ten minutes later, the tank closed behind her, and she started on her way to Iroh's tent.

It occurred to Varrick that this might be a trick, but he doubted it would work, as the General was surrounded by several guards in tanks. There was no outstanding damage she could do.

He shook it off. No, he doubted this was a trick. And if it wasn't a trick, then something important must have happened on the other side.

Word travelled quickly. The rumors were confirmed. Kuvira the Great Uniter was dead, cut down at the hand of one of her own inner circle.

Zhu Li.

She'd strangled the metalbender and brought with her a blade from the woman's armor as proof of her deed. She claimed to have been planning to double-cross the metalbender the entire time. The United Forces quickly agreed to pardon her of any convictions she may have faced as a result of her initial treachery. Bataar Jr. took over for his deceased fiancé, but without their great leader, the citizens of the Earth Empire quickly became the citizens of the Earth Kingdom again.

Zhu Li resumed her work for Verrick, as if she'd never left in the first place.

"How was working without me, sir?" She asked on her first day back. Varrick's hands shot to his hair.

"It was terrible! I had to do stuff myself! I thought I was gonna die!" His arms shot out to grab his assistant and pull her to him. "I am never letting you leave again!"

Zhu Li chuckled. "I don't intend to, sir!"