Through the Windowsill (Jetko)

"Well, well, well," a voice from the window called, "if it isn't Mr. Firelord. How've you been, Zuko?"

Zuko froze in his position on the bed. He was lying with his back to the window, once again having trouble sleeping thanks to the pressures of his job and the fact that Mai had once again broken up with him.
He knew that voice. He hadn't spent much time with the person who owned it, but it still rang in his ears in silent moments, when he had time to reflect on happier memories.

Zuko couldn't believe the guy was here. He was supposed to be dead!

Slowly, Zuko turned on his side and faced the mop of brown hair that had hardly changed at all since the war.

"...Jet?!"

The visitor grinned. "In the flesh."

In his sleepy state, Zuko had to take time to process the moment. Jet had supposedly died years ago, under Lake Laogai, and yet here he was sitting in the Firelord's window.

"But... You're supposed to be dead."

The other man grinned. "I couldn't go without saying goodbye to my favorite firebender, now could I?"

Jet swung himself through the window and made a show of studying the room.

"I love what you've done with the place! The Fire Nation, I mean. Personally I didn't think it could be done."

"It took a lot of work," Zuko said consciously, subconsciously taking two steps back. His visitor wasn't here for pleasantries and he knew it.

Jet paid no attention to this.
"And Republic City! Oh, I do love how you handled that. Sorry about the grief my Freedom Fighters gave you, they only think in one direction."

"Good to know," Zuko replied.

Jet moved slowly towards the Firelord as he spoke, stopping just a hairsbreadth away. The bed sat behind, preventing Zuko from backing up any farther.

"Heard your girlfriend left again," Jet stated, staring into the firebender's eyes. Zuko met his gaze, defiant and confident. He was a good inch or so taller, which added to his belief that he could fend the other man off.

"She'll be back," he promised. Jet chuckled, deep and husky.

"Well in the meantime," he said, leaning in closer, forcing the Firelord back onto his bed, "How about I keep you entertained?"

That inch or so did nothing.

.

.

.

A/n well. . . that took a totally different direction than what I was planning