Dysfunction (maiko)

A/n here we have a maiko for @Kitty_Cat_Girl

.

.

.

Up. Down. Happy. Pissed.

That was his relationship with Mai. That had always been his relationship with Mai. When the couple looked back, they couldn't remember a single sweet moment that wasn't preceded and/or followed by a fight. It had become a regular occurrence around the palace. The Firelord and Lady were either screaming at each other or passionately making out, there was no in between. They had one of those relationships that's probably not healthy, but neither of the participants come up for air or stop screaming long enough to really care.

When people asked them about it, they just shrugged. They'd decided a long time ago they'd rather have a dysfunctional relationship than none at all. Once, when Sokka insisted upon elaboration, Zuko simply gave him an annoyed look and said "I love her, she loves me, that's it."

Of course, there were some really bad fights.

"You never listen to me!" Mai yelled, hands in the air, frustration very evident in her voice.

"You're always yelling at me!" He screamed back.

"I'm DONE!" She said, turning and stomping out the door. Zuko stood with his chest puffed out and his arms crossed.

It took him two weeks to man up enough to fetch her from her aunt's house.

And there were some really sweet moments.

"You did all this?" Mai asked, upon walking into the dining hall. The table was lined with her favorite foods, a big tray of fruit tarts in the middle.

"Sure did. Do you like it?" Zuko asked with a grin. She smiled up at him.

"Oh, Zuko, I love it!" She said, kissing him sweetly for a lingering moment. They shared a blissful smile before Zuko broke into a grin once more.

"I'm glad you like it. Now let's eat!"

Mai didn't share any fruit tarts. Not that Zuko expected her to. She did let him feed her one, though.

So, while their relationship was a little dysfunctional, they made it work their way. And in the end, neither of them would have wanted it any different.