Headlines (Korrasami)

"Oh, you have got to be kidding me!" Asami yelled, throwing the newspaper on a table in a huff. It had been three weeks since Korra was first confined to a wheelchair, and being the good friend that Asami was, she never left the avatar's side. She'd been nursing and doting and doing pretty much whatever she could for her friend. But that's all they were. Friends.

Unfortunately, the newspapers didn't see it that way. For the fourth time since Asami took up her role as the Avatar's personal nurse, the headlines read: Possible Romance? Future Industries CEO spotted once again with the Avatar.

"Another headline about us?" Korra asked, a somewhat defeated tone to her voice. She'd been getting better since her fight with Zaheer, but it was a slow process. She had her good days, and her bad.

"Yes" the CEO huffed. She didn't understand why the papers had to constantly pair her with her best friend rather than report on actual news. She voiced her opinion to Korra, who merely shrugged.

"People need their gossip, 'Sami."

Asami rolled her eyes. She'd like to tell the people in detail exactly where they could put their gossip, but Korra seemed to be in a good mood today. She didn't want to risk that, especially since they had a gala to attend later that night. It was President Raiko's birthday, and the Avatar was expected to make an appearance. Korra was determined to go.

"You realize that as soon as we show up tonight we're gonna get swarmed, right?" She asked. Korra smiled grimly.

Of course, Asami was right.

At the exact moment she stepped out of the Satomobile and moved to help her friend, the reporters were all over them.

"Avatar Korra, are the rumors about you and Ms. Sato true?"

"Ms. Sato, is the Avatar your lover?"

"Avatar Korra, will the two of you be going public soon?"

Ms. Sato, how is the Avatar in bed?"

By the time they reached the doors, both their faces were redder than the tapestry in the Fire Nation Royal Palace.

Aside from the general intrusion into their private lives, the evening went well for the teens. Korra was in a good mood, chatting with familiar faces and exchanging pleasantries. Asami even heard her laugh once. It was a shame, she thought, that her friend's good mood would be spoiled by the reporters and photographers when they left at the end of the evening. Especially since lately, her happy days were few and far between.

However, the Avatar's mood was in fact still perfectly intact as the two of them made their way to their vehicle. Asami breathed an internal sigh of relief upon seeing that Korra was undeterred by the intrusive questions. She leaned in to whisper something about it in her ear, not really caring about the pictures that would be snapped of the moment, and suddenly Korra's head turned towards her and her lips were inches away from the other girl's.

Their eyes went wide, and Asami moved to pull away, about to mutter an apology. But she never got the chance to.

Quicker than either of them could have anticipated, there were two hands on the back of Asami's head as Korra pulled her back in, connecting their lips. The CEO was so shocked that she froze, and the two lingered there long enough for plenty of pictures to be snapped.

When the girls finally pulled away from each other, Korra took off wheeling at top speed to their vehicle, leaving Asami to run in an attempt to catch up.

The girls rode in awkward silence as the  Satomobile pulled away and started down the road. Finally, unable to bear the quiet, Korra broke the ice.

"Well, that'll be one hell of a headline, eh?"