Visit (Tokka)

A/n so, here's the Tokka half of "Kataang or Tokka or both" for @starlinestories. Sorry it took so long!

.

.

.

Toph strode down the sidewalk with determination. Her hair blew behind her with the breeze, hanging down her back rather than the updo it was usually in. He always preferred it that way. Her attire had changed, too. She now wore a green sundress, plain yet elegant, and there was light makeup on her face. The only things that remained the same were her barefoot feet. It didn't make sense to cover your eyes for a simple visit.

A few people turned their heads. After all, it was a sight to see. The usually rather rough, somewhat masculine police chief was showing the feminine side that most people didn't believe she had. Toph didn't need to be able to see their faces to know they were staring. Not that she cared.

She rounded a corner and arrived at her destination.

I can do this, she thought.

Taking a deep breath, she ran a hand over the raised dots on the paper she held, the number of Sokka's current residence. Once she caught sight of it, she almost turned and ran. This wouldn't be easy, not at all. But, it had to be done, so she put on her big girl britches and approached.

"Hey, Sokka!" She called, waving. A tear formed at the corner of her eye, threatening to ruin her makeup.

This stuff had better be waterproof, Sugar Queen, she thought.

"Long time no see," she continued, laughing to herself slightly. As if she could see him anyway. "I've been wanting to come by, but, it's just... It was too hard. I mean, Lin and Su really miss you. Lin says you betrayed us, leaving like that. And Suyin... Well, she doesn't like that kind of talk." Toph chuckled, wiping a tear from her eye, "You never could do wrong in her eyes."

A moment of silence passed between the two of them. Finally the chief sighed.

"I miss you, meathead," she whispered. Tears slipped beyond her eyelids. Her hands flew up, covering her eyes as her knees caved and she collapsed to the ground. Her sobs grew uncontrollable, piercing the otherwise stark silence. Half of her expected him to wrap his arms around her and whisper that everything was alright. But of course, he didn't. He couldn't.

"Damn you Sokka!" She screamed, as her fist collided with the rock-hard surface. Memories passed fleetingly through her mind. Half-heartedly punching her lover. Cuddling into his toned torso. Laughing at corny jokes simply because it made him happy.

Her fist dropped to her side. The last of her tears slipped by as she rested her head on his now slightly damaged tombstone.

"I love you, Sokka," she whispered.