Always Here (Deska)

A/n and here we have Deska for @Kitty_Kat_Girl (tried to keep it cute and not twincesty)

.

.

.

Since childhood, Desna and Eska had been close. Closer than most twins, some said. They shared a bed until they were fourteen, and Eska decided that Desna sprawled too much in his sleep. Even then, they couldn't sleep in separate rooms. If he had to, Desna would sleep in the bathtub to be with his sister. They simply couldn't be alone.

Some people said they had no emotion. Sociopaths. Psychopaths. Only care about each other, and even then didn't care. What these people didn't see was Eska waking up with from a night terror with tears in her eyes. Desna wrapping his arms around her and whispering sweet things to make her feel better. The two of them holding each other through the night, taking comfort in each other's presence. They didn't need anyone else. As long as they had each other, they would be fine.

"I love you" wasn't a phrase they spoke. Not to each other, not to anyone. Most of the time they could communicate without words, so they never felt the need to voice their thoughts. They loved each other, they knew they loved each other, saying it aloud wasn't necessary.

Until one night came, when Eska decided she didn't want to live with only Desna. She wanted another man in her life. As much as it annoyed him, Desna supported her to the best of his abilities. He still never left her side, but now Bolin was intruding on the twins. Desna had never felt such extreme distaste before.

His distaste peaked when his sister told him she intended to marry the boy. This news, above all else, nearly snapped his cool composure in two.

"Are you sure about this, Eska?" He asked, emotion beginning to trickle through his voice.

"Of course, Desna. Bolin will join us in the North and we will live the rest of our lives in icy bliss."

Desna didn't approve and they both knew it, but neither of them said anything else.

His suspicions were proven right when the earthbender left her at the altar.

"How could he do this?!" Eska raged. She was a mess. Her eyeliner was running and she'd changed into a hideous outfit.

"He is an earth peasant street rat, Eska. He cares nothing for your feelings."

As he had a million times before, Desna wrapped his arms around his sister and pulled her as close as he could, careful to avoid the large claw-like protrusions on the back of her clothing. He placed a kiss on her forehead.

"I am still here, Eska. I will always be here."

Eska buried her face in his torso.

When Desna went down trying to open the spirit portal with their father, Eska carried him back. She refused to leave him until he was fully recovered, curling up next to him in his bed and pulling him as closely as she could. He only had a 30% chance of making it, they told her. Her tears fell on his chest as she sobbed, begging the spirits, gods, anyone to save her brother, until amazingly, he pulled through. The healers say that their bond is what healed him. There's a theory among the water tribes that tears of love have special healing properties.

And then harmonic convergence came, and the earth peasant street rat spat lies to convince them to release him. Had Desna not wanted to take down his father, he wouldn't have let her set them free. They fought together, but Eska clung to Bolin for most of the battle. Desna feared he would begin to lose his sister again. He secretly rejoiced when they didn't get back together.

With Bolin out of the way, Desna had his sister back. For a month straight they shared a bed again, sleeping curled together to relish the fact that they still had each other.

"I love you Desna..." Eska murmured.

He already knew it, but for the first time, after all that happened, she felt the need to say it aloud.

"I love you too." he whispered, pulling her as close as he could and pressing his lips against her forehead.

They only needed each other.