A Long Night for Kai (Kainora)

A/n Kainora for @nightblackshadowcat
Kainora grown up.
.

.

.

"Kai! Get in here now!" Jinora yelled. The anger was apparent in her voice, and Kai winced. His wife was a force to be reckoned with in this state.

"Yes, dear?" He asked as innocently as possible, knowing she saw right through it. He briefly wondered what he'd been busted for this time.

Jinora pointed at an Air Acolyte woman, looking rather irritated, a large stain on her shirt. On the floor, his three year old daughter Yi Yi raised her arms to her mother, asking to be lifted. Jinora ignored her, still waiting for an explanation. He mentally cursed. Of all the things to be busted for, it had to be this.

"Explain." she demanded in a deceivingly calm tone. An innocent smile appeared automatically on his face. Sign number one that he was lying.

"Well you see, what happened was, Yi Yi and I were playing outside, and she saw a pie sitting on the windowsill and asked for some. So, I was gonna ask if she could have some, but there was no one around. So, I figured I would just give her a slice and pay whoever made the pie back later. But then she," he said, pointing at the Acolyte, "came by, and Yi Yi like, screamed hello. Well, that startled me, and I threw my hand back, and I guess I airbent a little because the pie went soaring towards her. It was an accident."

Jinora raised an eyebrow at him. She knelt down and looked at their daughter.

"Sweetie, is Daddy lying?" She asked. The toddler nodded.

"Yes, Mommy."

Kai internally facepalmed. If course he couldn't count on the toddler to cover for him, she'd inherited her mother's pathological honesty. Terrible disorder, really.

Jinora glared at him. "Then what really happened, sweetie?" she asked, still looking at Kai.

"Daddy threw it on purpose."

Jinora's eyes widened. "Kai!" She half-screamed. Kai winced again.

"I was aiming at you!" He defended, not that it helped his situation any. Then, as quickly as Jinora's anger had flared, her usual calm demeanor returned to her. Kai knew this was a facade. She was still every bit as pissed on the inside.

"Really now?" She asked. Reluctantly, he nodded. Jinora shrugged.

"Alright then. Sorry about that, Yangchen," she apologized to the Acolyte, who grunted and left. Nothing else was said, which made Kai wary. Surely his wife was still angry, but she didn't say or do anything. No yelling, no scolding, just a sense of calm as she went back to whatever she was doing. He was beginning to think maybe he was somehow in the clear, and began to walk away when the full extent of her wrath became apparent.

"I hope you like sleeping on a cot."

His eyes widened. No, no surely not that. Anything but that! But, one look confirmed there was no arguing.

It was a long night for Kai.

.

.

.

A/n this one is... meh.

(A/n from the future: why didn't you delete it then?)