Being Mommy (Linkhan)

A/n this one's for @RunningPrincess You said Lin and Saikhan or Lin with kids. I chose to do Lin and Saikhan with kids. Or rather, kid. (And I completely guessed on the ship name because I couldn't find it so if someone wants to correct me feel free.)

.

.

.

"Su! Su, stop running around!" Lin called to the toddler as she hobbled about the floor. The chief sighed, wondering how she'd ended up with a kid at this age.

Must have been Saikhan's idea, she thought as she covered the distance between her and the girl, scooping the child up in her arms.

"You listen to me when I tell you to do something, got it?" She said, more as a statement than a question. The toddler nodded.

"Yes Mommy."

Mommy.

Lin still wasn't used to hearing that. Nor was she used to people asking about her husband, or waking up and realizing there are other people in the house. She'd lived alone so long, the thought of having a family still hadn't quite sunk in.

Suyin, of course, had been absolutely elated when she found out her big sister was getting married, and even more so when she found out her sister was pregnant at the right old age of 54. As had Opal, Bataar, and everyone else. Even Huan expressed some happiness for his aunt–he made her a sculpture that he said was a baby, but looked to everyone else like an apple. Of course, they all knew better than to point this out.

She'd been scared at first, but she was surprised to find that mothering came somewhat naturally to her. Sure it took some time to get used to, but eventually she fell into a sort of routine with caring for her daughter. And of course, her husband helped. She smiled as she remembered taking turns getting up in the middle of the night to soothe the baby, groaning all the while that they were too old for this and yet perfectly happy to be doing it all the same.

The door to her office opened and closed, and suddenly Lin remembered where she was. The cheif looked up to meet her husband's gaze, a smile on his face when he saw his wife sitting with their daughter in her lap.

"Playing hooky from daycare, are we?" He asked. Lin rolled her eyes.

"Daycare is optional, there is no 'playing hooky.' Besides," she said, standing to close the distance between the two of them, "someone wanted to see Mommy and Daddy work."

Saikhan chuckled as he took his daughter in his arms. "And I suppose it's Daddy's turn then?" He asked. Lin nodded.

"Mommy has reports to look over, and Mommy can't do that with a toddler running around her office."

Saikhan chuckled again, kissed his wife on the cheek and strode out of the office, Daughter in arm. Lin couldn't help the smile that played at her lips as she returned to her desk.

She still wasn't quite used to being Mommy, but she was getting closer every day.

.

.

.

A/n I like how this turned out. I assumed, of course, that Saikhan was his first name, mostly because I didn't want to come up with a different one.