Forty five; Someone like You

"New Directions, I would like to introduce you to our new show choir consultant

"New Directions, I would like to introduce you to our new show choir consultant. Jesse St. James."

Lyric pinched the bridge of her nose listening to Rachel's incessant clapping. This made her plan of avoiding Jesse so much harder, but she agreed with Mr. Schue. Jesse is a four time consecutive Nationals winner. His knowledge could be beneficial to them.

And they needed all the help they could get.

"I don't trust this guy." Finn said from behind Lyric. She turned her head to the side a little, so she could see him. They also hadn't talked since prom. "He's gonna trick us into doing something stupid, so his Alma Mater wins."

Jesse narrowed his eyes at Finn, smirking. "I don't need to do much tricking to get you to do something stupid, Finn."

Lyric blinked, running her tongue over her teeth. The tension between Jesse and Finn was thick. She was pretty sure everyone in the room could feel it.

And if they did, no one said anything.

"Guys, Jesse is just a consultant. I still make all the calls. I have all the confidence in the world in you guys. I just think we could use all the help we can get because this is it."

Lyric looked over to the board where Mr. Schue had written Nationals in big letters. She nodded along in agreement to what he said. She shared a smile with Mercedes. Two years in the making and now Nationals was finally here.

"We've been working so hard for two years for this moment, and that moment is finally here. I was talking with Jesse and he agreed we should continue with our successful trend of doing original songs for the competition. I was thinking of doing one group number and one duet."

"Lyric and I should sing a duet." Finn spoke up immediately. Lyric couldn't help the small smile that worked it onto her face. "We killed it last year at Invitationals with 'Somebody to Love'."

Quinn scoffed. "Invitationals wasn't even a competition."

"May I?" Jesse asked Mr. Schue, who nodded. A smug look made its way on Jesse's face as he stared at Finn. "I agree that Lyric should sing lead, but Finn, I think it's best if you sit this one out. The fact is, most of the other guys in here are better singers and Mike Chang, who can't even sing, can at least dance. You kind of sing and dance like a zombie who has to poop."

Her jaw dropped at Jesse's words. Rolling her eyes, Lyric pushed a loose strand of hair behind her ear. The last thing she wanted was their feud to cost them Nationals.

Finn huffed. "You see what I'm talking about? This guy's a jerk!"

"Maybe you could be a little gentler with your advice." Mr. Schue turned to Jesse.

Jesse gave him an amused look. "Gentle? I'm sorry. I didn't realize we were training for the "Good Try" ribbon at nationals. I thought we were in it to win the whole thing, and there's only one way we can do that.