Six; Maybe This Time

It was really difficult for Lyric to sing Don't Stop Believin' as a background singer this time around. Since Rachel quit, Lyric thought she'd be one of the next girls to step up as lead. Never had it crossed her mind that Mr. Schue would give the part to Quinn, but she kept her mouth shut. 

She didn't want to sound like Rachel. She also didn't want to take this opportunity away from Quinn, but her having to run off due to morning sickness during their performance wasn't helping them.

"Can we please talk about the giant elephant in the room?" Kurt asked, grabbing Mr. Schue's attention along with everyone else's.

"Your sexuality?"

Kurt rolled his eyes, but paid Santana no mind. "Rachel. We can't do it without her. The only other person who can hold a candle to her is Lyric." Her head shot over to Kurt. She was no where near Rachel Berry's talent. "But for some reason you have her in the back with us. She should be up there with Finn."

Lyric tucked a piece of hair behind her ear, flattered but slightly uncomfortable. The last thing was wanted was to be compared to Rachel. She was no where as good. 

"I gave Quinn the solo." Mr. Schuester replied, looking down at his sheet music. "We may have to layer Santana and Mercedes over Quinn's solo, but we'll be fine."

Lyric wasn't going to lie, it kind of hurt when Mr. Schue didn't even consider her for the solo. She was one of the members who was around back when they were performing, Sit Down You're Rocking the Boat.

Artie hugged his guitar to his chest. "Maybe for the invitationals, but not for the Sectionals and certainly not the Regionals."

"The wheelchair kid's right." Puck spoke up, looking over at Schuester. "I mean both of them are annoying, but Lyric doesn't make me want to light myself on fire. She can sing."

Lyric sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. "Uh, thanks, I think." She looked back at Puck, who just winked back with a smug look. Avoiding her gaze, Lyric glanced around at the room, her gaze landing on Santana, who narrowed her eyes at the blonde. Feeling smaller than she already was, Lyric averted her gaze to the tiled floor.

"Now, if we're gonna make this thing work, we can't look back." Mr. Schuester told them. Lyric pursed her lips together, swaying in place. "Alright, take five, guys."

Lyric made her way over to where Kurt and Mercedes were standing. She smacked Kurt in the arm. His eyes widened as he looked taken back. "Why, hello to you too."

"Look, I don't deserve the solo any more than Tina or Mercedes. And if Mr. Schue chose Quinn then it was probably because she's the best, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't volunteer me in front everyone."

Mercedes gave a soft pity sigh. "Lyric, you're one of the better singers, okay. You practice all the time. You're barely at lunch because you're always in the choir room. This is your moment. Take it." Kurt crossed his arms over his chest, nodding.