Thirty; One Love

Sam and Lyric had been spending even more time together as the weeks went by

Sam and Lyric had been spending even more time together as the weeks went by. They went to the Karaoke place that Lyric met Jesse at, to the movies, and to Breadstix. She really enjoyed his company, but something felt off.

"I don't get it."

"What don't you get?"

The two of them sat on Lyric's couch watching Moulin Rouge. A movie that she usually makes Finn watch with her over and over, but he was out with Rachel tonight.

Both of their feet were resting on the coffee table while Sam had an arm wrapped around Lyric's shoulder.

"If the movie is set in the past, then why are all the songs modern?"

She laughed, pointing to the screen. "It's part of the fun."

"That's weird."

"You're weird." She nudged his side. Sam nodded his head, then brought his hand down, tickling Lyric's side. "Sam, stop." She laughed.

"No." He continued tickling her, leaning over her when she fell back on the couch. Lyric was breathing heavily when he finally stopped. She took in the position they were in, blushing. He was hovering over her, his face mere inches away from hers.

Sam's eyes searched hers before slowly leaning down, closing the gap between them. Lyric squeezed her eyes shut, bringing her hand up to the back of his neck.

The kiss was. . .different.

Her eyebrows knitted together in confusion, pulling away. Glancing up, she noticed that Sam wore the same expression.

"Did you —?" She asked, pursing her lips together.

Sam shook his head. "No. Did you?"

"Nothing."

There were no sparks, no fireworks, no feelings. The kiss was nice, but it felt like a kiss between two friends. Not two people who liked each other. Sam lifted himself off of Lyric, plopping down on the couch. She hoisted herself into a sitting position, toying with her fingers.

Lyric sighed. "I think this might be the universe's way of saying that we should just be friends. I mean, if we both didn't feel anything."

"I think you're right." He answered. "But I still want to be friends. I think we might've confused great chemistry for a crush."

She agreed. She loved being with him, but it always felt more friendly than it did with someone like Finn. "Yeah, plus I've seen the way you look at Quinn and it's not the same way you look at me. And I was weirdly okay with that. I wasn't jealous at all."

"Because it's the same with you look at Finn?"

Her head shot up. Denying it at this pointed just seemed stupid. Everyone already knew. She wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Schuester knew. Everyone but Finn, which was sort of aggravating at this point.