Five; Tonight

"So, he drove you home and then what?" Bev asked Lyric as they waited for something interesting to be reported on the local news

"So, he drove you home and then what?" Bev asked Lyric as they waited for something interesting to be reported on the local news. They were both sprawled out on the couch. Lyric's legs were in her mom's lap, while her torso rested against the arm of the couch. Lyric reached for some popcorn that resided in the bowl on her lap.

Lyric stuffed her mouth full of popcorn, chewing slowly. "Mom, I've told you this story, like, a thousand times. It doesn't get dirty."

"I just want to hear it, so when I tell my grand babies in thirty years the story of how their parents first met, I have it perfect." Bev retorted with her idea of logic. Lyric laughed, tossing a piece of popcorn at her mom.

"He just drove me home." Lyric shrugged, recalling back to the other night. "We talked on the way about ourselves and then —"

Bev interrupted . "And then Cinderella came home."

"Well, let's see what's going on now with local champion cheerleading coach Sue Sylvester in a brand new segment we call Sue's Corner."

Both Bev and Lyric's heads whipped towards the TV. Lyric stretched for the remote and once it was in her grasp, she blasted the volume.

"Take it away, Sue."

Sue Sylvester appeared on their TV screen in, what Lyric likes to think, is one of her iconic Adidas tracksuits. "Thanks, Rod. Andrea." Bev and Lyric shared a looked before refocusing their gazes on the tv. "You know, caning has fallen out of fashion in the United States, but ask anyone who's safely walked the immaculate sidewalks of Singapore after winning an international cheerleading competition and they'll tell you one thing." 

Sue's smile dropped. "Canning works. And I think it's about time we did a little more of it right here. And to all those naysayers out there who say, That's illegal; you can't strike children on their bare buttocks with razor sharp bamboo sticks, well to them, I say, Yes, we cane." A lighthearted smile appeared back on her face. "And that's how Sue sees it."

Lyric blinked, trying to come up with words that appropriately fit what they just witnessed, but she was drawing a blank. She did, however, glance over at her mother. "Thank you for not canning me."

"Oh, the canes in the closet." Bev nodded sarcastically over to the hallway closet. "I just haven't found a canning worth situation yet."

Lyric sighed loudly. "And on that note, goodnight."

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

Mr. Schue passed Lyric her copy of the sheet music for this weeks solo. She gasped, reading the title. Tonight from West Side Story. Only one of Lyric's all time favorite musicals. She'd kill for this solo, but she wasn't expecting it. They had a bunch of amazing voice in their group.

"Excuse me, this isn't the right key." Rachel spoke up, pointing to the copy in her hands. Lyric looked down at the paper, noticing how the arrangement was for an alto. Lyric, along with Rachel, was a soprano.