Forty four; True Love

Lyric tapped her pencil against her songbook as she lounged on the couch

Lyric tapped her pencil against her songbook as she lounged on the couch. Her fuzzy sock clad feet were crossed on the coffee table as she rested her back against the couch. Groaning, she stared at the empty page in the book. She was a 5 foot bomb of repressed feelings and emotions, yet here she was struggling to find the words to explain how she felt.

The sound of her mom's footsteps coming down the stairs made Lyric glance up. "I'm officially tapped out. I've reached my peak of songwriting." She let out a melodramatic sigh, slamming her worn out songbook shut and tossing it to the side.

"Writer's block?" Bev questioned before disappearing into the kitchen. Lyric hummed quietly, letting her head fall back. She heard the fridge door opening and closing before her mom emerged with two mugs in her hand. Handing one to Lyric, she sat down. "What are you working on? Something for Glee?"

Shaking her head, Lyric took a sip from her mug. "No. Just passing the time."

"Hmm. So, prom's coming up." Bev said, poking Lyric's leg. "Have you decided what kind of dress you want yet?"

Lyric grabbed the tv remote; her head turning to meet her mother's gaze. The light from the television lighting up the slightly dimmed living room. She picked her songbook back up, opening to the blank page. "I'm not going."

"Wait, what? Why not?" Bev asked.

Closing her book, Lyric sighed. She could already picture herself, standing in the corner by herself while all of her friends danced with their dates. It wasn't very appealing. "It's going to be awful. I can imagine it."

"Actually, you can't." Bev retorted, tilting her head. "You've never been to a dance before."

Lyric continued to shake her head. "No, trust me. I'll hate it." She rolled her eyes. "And I'll be forced to watch Finn and Quinn dance together all night and then take the stage to be crowned Prom Queen and King. That's not how I want to spend my night."

"Okay." Bev nodded. Lyric reopened her songbook, thinking the conversation was over.

It wasn't.

"Or, it'll be an amazing night with your friends. And you'll be all dressed up, standing on the dance floor with some handsome looking guy."

Her shoulders dropped. "What guy?"

"Uh, what about the guy you traveled all the way across the country to see? Bev suggested, shrugging.

Lyric's eyes widened. Her mom couldn't be talking about the guy she thought she was talking about. "Jesse?" Lyric shook her head rapidly. "No, I can't take Jesse."

"Why not?"

"Well, first off. . .he's in California." Lyric responded.

Bev narrowed her eyes. "Prom's six days away. I'm sure he could get here in time."