Chapter 64 - Dwarves!

SCHARENIAN FRONTLINES

*KABOOM*

A series of explosions from 155mm artillery shells pummeled the long newly built trench lines of the Dylaslan Royal Army. This were then followed by quick advance of a collection of armored vehicles.

From a command and control Pandur II APC at the back, the various intelligence aircraft up above both manned and unmanned were giving real time overview of the whole battlefield. The primary targets were the Dylaslan airships, on which a few were already shot down by either the F-16's or by the SU-30's.

"ENEMY AIRSHIPS SOUTHEAST 20 KILOMETERS OUT! BE ON THE LOOKOUT!" radioed in by the section commander.

For the last few days these airships were providing suppressive fire from their "guided rockets". Their magic arrows were inaccurate at long distances but good enough to impede the Cardonian advance. The airships are also staying at their maximum range as they could be easily destroyed by Cardonian tanks once they were close enough.

Dylaslan artillery are also given limited use as Cardonian counter battery radars easily detect and presume their location, giving way for Cardonian counter artillery strikes.

The Dylaslan artillery commanders are lost over the fact that once they've fired against the Cardonians no matter how concealed their positions are, the Cardonians almost always fired back. A good number of their batteries were also destroyed by the fast flying Cardonian aircrafts.

Ground combat are also getting more gruesome by the day. As they advanced further inland, Dylaslan soldiers are getting more and more effective in trading fire with the Cardonians. They are severely outgunned but they are good enough to hold Cardonian troops. The toil of war are also beginning to take toll from both countries. As Dylaslan casualties racked up, Cardonia is also losing some troops. At the hands of well trained soldiers, the Dylaslan lever action rifles could be a great hindrance against the Cardonian assault rifles.

What also impedes the Cardonians were the heavy use of magic by the Dylaslans. Their mages are able to chant spells both defensive and offensive, putting extra challenges for Cardonian ground commanders.

Various offensive magic in the form of explosive and even some sort of weakening spell were being thrown at the Cardonians. Their defensive magic were also powerful enough to even stop small arms fire and their quick recovery from their injuries provided by their healers are giving them a fighting chance against the much superior Cardonia.

The Ginian advance up north were completely halted as they encounter more Dylaslans. They are already being supplemented by freshly arrived Cardonian troops. Both parties then dug in on their own trenches. The Ginians greatly outnumbered the Dylaslans, but with them eauipped with better weapons, the Ginians decided to be on the defensive. Their muskets are more than capable enough to keep the Dylaslans at bay, a stalemate then ensued, and without armored support the few Cardonian troops with them also dug in. 

And amidst the chaos, a convoy of light armored vehicles and tactical vehicles were making up north towards the treacherous mountain pass that leads to the untouchable Dwarven Kingdom of Heidlock.

Iveco LMVs, Humvees, Land Rover Defenders and Cardonian trucks were trekking the heavily defended mountain passes. This treacherous route were the one responsible to keep the Kingdom of Naldia from the grasp of both the Empire of Scolus and Dylasla.

The dwarves are especially known for their top of the line workmanship and bizarre technology that put them at par with the Centrals. And the vast amount of minerals and irom ore deposits that can be found at their mountains have kept the country rich.