eightyeight

"Zoo! We're going to the zoo!" Freddie yell-sings, jumping on the bed and landing mostly on Zain, knocking the breath from him.

"What a way to wake up," Zain groans, catching Freddie and pulling him into his arms. "Can we cuddle for a moment, monster?"

"No!" Freddie shrieks, kicking his legs and giggling. By the sound Harry lets out, Freddie has managed to hit him. "No cuddling! Up! We need to get going!"

"It's not even open, yet, baby," Harry says, clearing his voice against the hoarseness. "You still have loads of time."

"We need to get there early!" Freddie explains loudly, but stops wiggling somewhat, leaning back against Zain. "It's not open long because it's winter and dark but there's loads to see so we need to be there really early."

"I promise you'll get there in time," Harry says, smoothing down Freddie's hair. "What animals are you most excited to see? Do you have favourites?"

"Snakes," Freddie answers promptly. "They're a bit like dinosaurs."

"Are they?" Harry frowns, looking sceptical. Zain reaches out to touch his cheek. He feels stupid with love like always when Harry interacts with Freddie.

"Yes!" Freddie nods. "They are scary but really cool."

"Oh, ok," Harry says, like that makes sense. "What else do you want to see?"

"Lions! And tigers! And monkeys, because they are silly."

"Excuse me?" Gemma asks, pushing the door fully open. "What is this? Why wasn't I invited?"

"They don't wanna get up, Gemma!" Freddie complains.

"Awful!" Gemma explains. "They should've gone to bed earlier like Freddie and I did!"

"God, you're chipper," Zain complains. "Why don't you make breakfast and prepare our snacks? Loads to do before we can leave. The monster can help."

"Yes! I'll help Gemma!" Freddie says, scrambling over Zain and kneeing him into the stomach.

"Careful, Freddie," Zain reminds him, wincing.

"Sorry," Freddie says, unbothered, attaching himself to Gemma's skirt and pulling. "Come on, hurry."

"What a monster," Harry says, sounding fond, rolling over and hugging Zain. Zain rubs his hand through Harry's hair. "You're picking me up on the way back from the zoo, right? You didn't forget?"

"You sure you can leave work that early? I'm not sure the monster is going to last till closing with the way he's going."

"Don't care. Want you to pick me up. And I can establish myself as nice boss, can't I?"

"Good luck with that," Zain grins, kissing Harry's cheek. "Come on, let's get up before the monster comes back."

"I'm sore," Harry complains, sitting up with a wince.

Zain touches his back. "Badly?" he asks with a concerned frown.

"Nope," Harry smiles at him over his shoulder. "Very much not."