suzie do you copy pt.2

We all snuck into Dustin's house, getting the prank ready. We lined up behind the wall, watching as Dustin walked out of his room. Once El had stopped the toys and Dustin crouched down, we snuck up behind him. Max counted to three before we all blew into the noisemakers. Dustin screams, spraying Lucas in the eyes with his Farrah Fawcett spray.

"I call it... the forever clock. All right? Powered by wind. Very useful in the apocalypse. Then, I give you... the slammer. Pretty neat, huh?" Dustin chuckles as he shows us various creations of his. "But this... this is my masterpiece." Dustin grunts, slamming the duffel bag down. We all sit on the floor to get a closer look at what he was showing us. "I would like you to meet... Cerebro," Dustin exclaims. "What exactly are we looking at here?" Mike asks. "Yeah, what is this?" I follow. "An unassembled one-of-a-kind battery-powered radio tower," Dustin bubbled. "So, it's a... a ham radio," Will quizzed. "The Cadillac of ham radios. This baby carries a crystal-clear connection over vast distances. I'm talking North Pole to South. I can talk to my girlfriend whenever and wherever I choose," Dustin explains casually. "Girlfriend?" We all ask in shock. Great, now Will and I are the only single ones. "Wait, so her name is Suzie?" Mike asks. "Suzie with a "z." She's from Utah," Dustin adds. "Girls go to science camp?" Will questions. "Suzie does. She's a genius," Dustin brags. "Is she cute?" I ask. "Think Phoebe Cates, only hotter," Dustin smirks. "What's going on?" Max asks. "Going to talk to Dustin's girlfriend," Will smiles. "Girlfriend?" Lucas and Max ask.

time skip

As we walked up the steep hill, I couldn't help but continuously look back at Mike and El. "Aren't we high enough?" Lucas complained. "Cerebro works best at a hundred meters," Dustin explained. "You know, I'm pretty sure people in Utah have telephones," I pant. "Yeah, but Suzie's Mormon," Dustin added. "Oh. Shit. She doesn't have electricity?" Lucas quizzed. "Oh, that's the Amish," Max groans.

"Hey, guys! This is fun and all, but, uh..." Mike began. "I have to go home," El explained. "We're almost there," Dustin protested. "Sorry, man. Curfew. Come on, let's go," Mike exclaimed. "Good luck!" El exclaimed. "Dinner at 4:00?" Dustin asks. "They're lying," Lucas continues. "It's been like this all summer," Will sighs. "It's romantic," I defend. "It's gross," Will groans. "It's bullshit. I just got home. Well, their loss, right? Onwards and upwards! Suzie awaits!" Dustin exclaims.

"Made it," Dustin announced as we reach the top. "Yeah, only took five hours," Max groans. "Why couldn't we just play D&D?" Will asked. "I'm so thirsty," Lucas panted, taking out the flask and drinking almost all of the water. "Did you seriously just drink the rest of our water?" Max questions. Lucas spits the water back into the flask before holding it out to her. 

time skip

We stood around Dustin as he tried to talk to his girlfriend over the radio. Dustin kept repeating the same phrase and getting no reply back each time.

"...do you copy? This is Dustin. Over. Suzie! This is Dustin. Do you copy? Over. Suzie, this is your Dustin. Do you copy? Over. Suzie--" Dustin continued. "Dustin, come on! She's not there,"Max groans. "She's there, all right? She'll pick up," Dustin explained. "Maybe Cerebro doesn't work," Will suggests. "Or maybe Suzie doesn't exist," Lucas adds. "She exists!" Dustin defends. "She's a genius and she's hotter than Phoebe Cates? No girl is that perfect," Lucas retorted. "Is that so?" Max asks, sitting up. "I mean... you're perfect. I mean, like, per--perfect in your own way. In your special-- your own special way," Lucas stuttered. "Relax, I was teasing. I'm obviously perfect and Dustin's obviously lying. Come on, Don Juan," Max seethes as her and Lucas get up to leave. "Where are you going?" Dustin asks. "Home," Max replies. "Well... guess it's just us three," Dustin sighs. I watch as Will stands up. "Um... it's late. Sorry. Maybe tomorrow we can play D&D. Or something fun. Like we used to?" Will suggests. "Yeah, sure," Dustin nods. "Welcome home," Will smiles before running down the hill. "Yeah. Welcome home," Dustin whispers. "Hey, uh... I'm still here," I blurt. Dustin turns around and looks at me. "If you wanna go, just go," he sighs. "Why would I leave? I've got nothing else to do. Plus, Suzie sounds really nice. I wanna meet her," I smile. "Really?" Dustin asks. "Yeah! Why wouldn't I? All those guys are just so caught up in their relationships. You can't really blame 'em," I sigh. "I guess you're right," Dustin chuckles as he sits down next to me. 

We waited in silence trying to see if Suzie would ever answer. All of a sudden, a distorted chatter came from the radio. "Shit. Shit. Suzie? Suzie, is that you?" Dustin asks. He turns up the volume and we hear a man speaking Russian.