the bathtub pt.1

I sat on the couch as Dustin freaked out about something and Mike cleaned El up. I hadn't talked since the quarry and I didn't plan on talking anytime soon. I still felt super disgusting. My plans were all ruined and I can't tell anyone because they won't believe me. Especially not Steve. 

"Guys!" I hear Dustin exclaim. "It's Lucas, I think he's in trouble," Dustin panicked. Mike and El run out of the bathroom and to the walky, I follow them. "Do you remember how he said he was looking for the gate?" Dustin asks. "Yeah," Mike replies. "What if he found it?" Dustin quizzed, handing Mike the walky-talky. I could vaguely hear Lucas shouting something. "What's he saying?" Mike asked. "I don't know, he's way out of range," Dustin sassed. Mike put the speaker up to his ear. "... son of a bitch!" Lucas spoke. "Lucas, if you can hear us, slow down. We can't understand you," Mike demanded. Lucas said something, but we couldn't hear. "Mad Hen. Does that mean anything to you? Like a code name or something?" Dustin asked. "The bad men are coming!" Lucas yelled. "Bad men. Bad men! Stay here!" Mike told El, as he, Dustin and I ran upstairs. We looked out of the window to see vans surrounding the house. "What's that guy doing?" Mike asks. "You don't think..." Dustin mutters. Mike sprints off as Dustin and I stay by the window.

Dustin and I watch as more trucks arrive. Someone in one of the trucks spots us, Dustin quickly closes the curtains. He grabs my hand and drags me to the kitchen. "Mike!" Dustin yells. "One second," Mike exclaimed. "Mike!" Dustin repeats. "We need to leave... right now," Dustin pants. "Michael!" Mrs Wheeler calls. "If anyone asks where we are, we've left the country," Mike shouts back before following Dustin and I. We run out of the side door, Mike and Dustin grabbed their bikes as El and I ran next to them. I got onto Dustin's bike as El got onto Mike's. We turn to see a bunch of men staring at us. "Go, go, go, go, go, go, go!" Dustin shouts.

 "Oh, my god. Oh, my god," He adds. Dustin and Lucas were talking over the intercom. "Copy. Elm and Cherry," Dustin repeats. "Okay," Mike exclaimed, following the directions. "Shit!" Dustin gasps. "This way, come on," Mike demanded as the vans were approaching us. We took a short cut, almost hitting some girls in the process.

"Lucas!" Mike exclaims as we meet up with him. "Where are they?" He pants. "I don't know. I think we lost 'em," Mike replies. All of a sudden, we hear tires screeching. "Go, go, go, go! Faster, faster!" Mike yells. "Shit! Shit! Shit!" Dustin mutters as I cling onto him tighter. We were blocked as a van pulls up in front of us. Out of nowhere, the van flips over us, crashing behind us and blocking the other vans. 

"Holy... Holy shit! Did... did you see what she did to that van?" Dustin pants. "No, Dustin, we missed it," Mike replies sarcastically. "I mean, that was--that was.." "Awesome. It was awesome," Lucas pants. Lucas walked to El, "Everything I said about you being a traitor and stuff... I was wrong. I'm sorry," Lucas admit. "Friends... friends don't lie. I'm sorry, too," El whispered. "Me, too," Mike added, sticking his hand out for Lucas to shake, which he did. I stayed silent.

time skip

"This is Randolph Road, right here. The fence starts here, and goes all the way around. And this is the lab right here. The gates gotta be in there somewhere. It's gotta be," Lucas explains. "Well, who owns Hawkins Lab?" Dustin asks. "The sign says Department of Energy," Lucas replied. "Department of Energy? What do you think that means?" Dustin asks. "It means government. Military," Mike announced. "Then why does it say Energy?" Dustin questioned. "Just trust me, all right? It's military. My dad's told me before," Mike corrects. "Mike's right. There's soldiers out front," Lucas explains. "Do they make, like, lightbulbs or something?" Dustin asks. "No, weapons... to fight the Russian's, and commies and stuff," Mike asserted. "Weapons," Lucas repeat. "Oh, Jesus, this is bad," Dustin muttered. "Really bad. The place is like a fortress," Lucas explains. "Well, what do we do?" Dustin asks. "I don't know, but we can't go home. We're fugitives now," Mike sighs. "Guys? Do you hear that?" Dustin asks, bringing our attention to the helicopters circling around us.

We hide our bikes under the bus before sneaking on. We all huddled down together as Lucas shouted, "Get down!" We hid in the bus, panting heavily. "Mental," Dustin exclaimed.

"Mike, are you there? Mike?" a voice spoke on the intercom. "You guys hear that?" Dustin asked. "Mike, it's me, Nancy. Mike, are you there? Answer. Mike, we need you to answer," Nancy demanded as Mike pulled out the walky-talky. "Is that your sister?" Lucas asked. "Okay, this is really weird," Dustin blurt. "Don't answer," Mike ordered. "She said it was an emergency," Lucas exclaimed. "What if it's a trick?" Mike quizzed. "It's your sister!" Lucas added. "What if the bad people kidnapped her? What if they're forcing her to say this?" Mike asked. "I need you to answer," Nancy begged. "It's like Lando Calrissian. Don't answer," Dustin encouraged. "We need to know that you're there, Mike. Listen, kid, this is the chief. If you're there, pick up. We know you're in trouble and we know about the girl," they demand. "Why is she with the chief?" Lucas asks. "How the hell does he know about..." Dustin murmurs. "We can protect you, we can help you, but you gotta pick up. Are you there? Do you copy? Over," He explained. "Yeah, I copy. It's Mike. I'm here. We're here," Mike replied.

Dustin paced around the bus. "Will you stop pacing?" Lucas asks. "It's been way too long. Do you know what? Maybe Mike's right. Maybe this is all a trap and the bad men are coming to get us right now!" Dustin yelled. "It's not a trap. Why would the chief set us up? Nancy, maybe, but the chief?" Lucas argued. "Lando Calrissian," Dustin repeat. "Would you shut up about Lando?" Lucas begged. "I don't feel good about this. I don't feel good about this!" Dustin exclaimed. "When do you feel good about anything?" Lucas retorted. As we heard vehicles approaching, we ran to the front of the bus. "Shit!" Dustin exclaims. "Go, go, go, go, go!" Mike muttered. We got back to our hiding position, I hugged my knees as I buried my face in them. "Lando," Dustin repeat. "You think they saw us?" Lucas whispered. "Both of you, shut up," Mike ordered.

We heard noises and shots coming from outside, and before we knew it, the chief stepped inside the bus. "All right, let's go. Let's go!" he shouted. We grabbed our bags, following him to the car, from there, we drove to Will's house.

time skip

Nancy ran to Mike, embracing him in a hug. I ran to Ms. Byers, crying into her shoulder. "Hey, hey, it's okay. We're safe here," she reassured me. "I want Steve," I cry. "I know, sweetie. But he's safe where he is," she sighs. I nod, wiping my eyes. Nancy looked over at El. "Is that my dress?" she asks.

time skip

"Okay, so, in this example, we're the acrobat. Will and Barbara, and that monster, they're the flea. And this is the Upside Down, where Will is hiding. Mr. Clarke said the only way to get there is through a rip of time and space." Mike explains. "A gate," Dustin adds. "That we tracked to Hawkins Lab," Lucas follows. "With our compasses. Okay, so the gate has a really strong electromagnetic field, and that can change the directions of a compass needle," Dustin continued. "Is this gate underground?" Hopper questioned. "Yes," Eleven whispered. "Near a large water tank?" Hopper asked again. "Yes," El replied, nodding her head. "How do you know all that?" Dustin quizzes. "He's seen it," Mike mumbles. "Is there any way that you could... that you could reach Will? That you could talk to him in this--" "The Upside Down," El corrected. "Down. Yeah," Joyce continued, and El nodded. "And my friend Barbara? Can you find her, too?" Nancy asked. 

And that's when it really hit me. I was the last person to see Barbara alive.