the spy pt.1

The three of us sat in the car in silence as "Hammer to fall" played on the radio. "Wait a sec. How big?" Steve asks, breaking the silence. "First it was like that. Now he's like this," Dustin explains. "I swear to God, man, it's just some little lizard, okay?" Steve begins. "It's not a lizard," Dustin cut in. "How do you know?" Steve asks. "How do I know if it's not a lizard?" Dustin asks. "Yeah, how do you know if it's not just a lizard?" Steve repeats, getting louder. "Because his face opened up and he ate my cat," Dustin snaps. "Wait. Dart ate Mews?" I ask. "Yes," Dustin nods. As the conversation ends, we pull into Dustin's driveway. 

Steve opens up the trunk and grabs the bat. We walk over to the storm cellar that had been chained up. "I don't hear shit," Steve exclaims. "He's in there," Dustin defends. Steve taps the bat to the door and then does it again harder. "All right, listen, kids. I swear, if this is some sort of Halloween prank, you're dead," Steve scolds, shining the flashlight in our faces. "It's not," Dustin defends. "All right?" Steve adds. "It's not a prank, Steve. I've seen the little asshole he's talking about and it's real," I snap. "Get it out of my face," Dustin requests, referring to the flashlight. "You got a key for this thing?" Steve asks.

Steve opens the doors as Dustin and I peer down. "Let me see that," Steve demands as Dustin hands him the flashlight. "He must be further down there. I'll stay up here in case he tries to escape," Dustin whispers. "Yeah, same. Sorry Steve but I'm sure I could get a bunch of diseases if I were to go down there," I add. I watch as Steve and Dustin look at each other and smile at the same time. "What?" I ask. "Nothing," Steve and Dustin chuckle. Dustin and I watch as Steve creeps down the stairs. "Steve?" Dustin and I call out but get no response. Dustin and I inch closer to the opening. "Steve, what's going on? Are you hurt?" I ask. "What's going on down there?" Dustin adds. Dustin and I jump back as Steve appears at the bottom of the stairs. "Get down here," he orders. Dustin and I walk down the stairs where we see Steve holding what looks like molted skin. "Oh, shit," Dustin gasps. Steve shines his light on a hole in the wall. "Oh, shit!" Dustin repeats. "That can't be good," I follow. The three of us walk closer to the hole. "No way. No way," Dustin whispers. "It looks like it goes on forever," I gasp.