1:SEVEN

To Kill Or Not To Kill
SEVEN

▪︎

▪︎

After what felt like several hours, the trio set out to leave the cave. Bellamy was leading them, determining whether it was safe to leave the shelter. Once he saw that the air was clear from the acid fog, he gestured for the two girls to follow him out into the fresh air. The sun was high in the sky, shining down through the small gaps in the trees.

"Why is it so quiet? Where is everyone?" Aura asks, worried that the fog may have claimed multiple lives.

"Anybody out here?" Bellamy yells, hoping that people respond.

"We're here!" a response comes from the distance, as members of the other hunting crew emerged. "We made it to a cave down there." said Jones, pointing towards the direction of a different cave. "What the hell was that?"

"I have no idea."

Suddenly out of nowhere, a scream pierces the air. Aurelia looks up recognising the sound, and realises that Charlotte is no longer with her. "Charlotte?" She sprints towards the sound of the scream. Aura finds the girl trembling, with tears running down her face. Before she goes to comfort the girl and ask what happened, she finally sees it and freezes. "Oh my god. Atom."

There he was laying, covered from head to toe in angry red blisters and sores as a result of being exposed to the fog. At first glance he doesn't look like he's moving, but he's ever so slightly shaking, trying to take in painful gasps of air. Aurelia completely broke at that moment. She could have prevented this. She could have turned back for him and saved his life. It's her fault he's like this right now, unable to move and in a tremendous amount of pain.

Bellamy had just caught up to her, and instantly knew she was blaming herself. He quickly turned her around so she wasn't facing Atom anymore and held her close, one arm around her waist and one holding her head close to his chest. She tried to muffle her sobs and failed, and all Bellamy could do was hold her. "Aura it's not your fault." He looked over and realised that Charlotte was still staring at Atom in shock. "Charlotte, why don't you go back to camp." The younger girl nodded and hurried away from the tragic scene.

"Kill me...kill me." croaked out Atom, unable to deal with the pain anymore. Aurelia pulled away from Bellamy, eyes rimmed red from crying. She hesitantly moves towards Atom when Bellamy lightly grabs her elbow.

"You don't have to Aura, I'll do it." She shook her head at him and pulled out her hunting knife, slowly kneeling down next to the boy.

"It should be me." She breathes unevenly as she slowly moves the knife towards Atom's neck. She paused for a second, contemplating if she could really take someone's life, even if it's a mercy killing. Out of nowhere, a hand gripped hers, and when Aura looked up she realised it was Clarke, who had found them on the way back to camp.