26

"Padema." Daichi skipped into the bathroom, singing my name. While I was getting ready for the day.

Doesn't he know what privacy is?

"What?" I say with a mouthful of spit.

He jumps up on the counter and swings his legs back and forth. Still yet to respond.

"WHAT?" I shout at him and he falls off the counter.

He stands up and brushed himself off. Only to slap another smile on his face, then hitting my back.

"Stop slouching! Anyways, what brought me here, is a favor. You see, you haven't been showing up to our practices lately and...." he becomes all shy and looks at me.

"I don't want to go." I say, before he could ask.

"Okay, but here's the situation. Kiyoko is sick and we have a practice game against Date Tech today. Since we offered you that manger position, we thought you should be referee for the game." he states.

I put my toothbrush down and give him an improbable look.

"She's sick....come on." he pouts.

"Fine. Whatever. I'm only doing this for Kiyoko. Keep that in mind."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daichi and I walk into the gymnasium. It felt weird without any volleyball shorts on too.

"Ah! Little Daichi!" Tanaka comes crashing into me. "How long has it been? Months? Years? Decades? Centuries?"

"Days." I inform him.

I throw him off of me and fix my clothes. But the moment I stood, someone caught my eye.

"Kiyoko? Are you feeling bett-"

"Look at that! Kiyoko's here and all rested up! Must have just been an overnight sickness. Besides, I think Date Tech's bringing a ref." Daichi quickly pushes Kiyoko out of the way.

Oh, so he lied to me. That makes much more sense.

I turn to leave the gym, but someone jumps right in front of me. Forcing me, to step back.

"Where do you think you're going?" Noya questions.

"The car-"

"Padema! The hell you think you're doing? Strolling in here and not even getting some practice in?" Coach interrupts.

"Yeah, why are you leaving so early? You just got here." Hinata acknowledges.

I feel so cornered right now.

"No practice for me today." I tell them and try to leave again.

"You're in my supervision today, so you can't leave." Daichi states and blocks my exit.

"Just let me, at least get some homework done." I whisper to him.

He rolls his eyes at me and tosses the keys.

"Blah, blah, blah. Nerd alert, whatever." he mocks me. "Fetch the jersey's for us too then."

"Oh, Kageyama! Go help her, don't be rude." I hear Hinata exclaim.

I turn around and see him, completely shoving Kageyama, my way.

Damn. And just as I thought, I had avoided him.

We started walking to the car, but Kageyama was far behind. Keeping a great distance.

This is more awkward then, when we first became friends. But, at least we spoke at that time.