Capitol XI

A/N: I survived our chemistry final exam but I still have lots of paperworks to do TT^TT

--

Lia sobbingly attended to her Empress' cold feet right beside the fireplace. After staying out of the balcony for too long, Alathea got a mild frostbite on her feet. Thankfully, it was not a serious injury and could be treated with a warm water. If it wasn't for Nathan, she would've suffered further from the cold.

"Calm down, Lia" Alathea chuckled as Lia continuously sob below her "I am fine"

"I shouldn't have reacted earlier" Lia mumbled between her sobs "I should have just closed the curtains like nothing happened" she gently took Alathea's feet from the warm water and dried it with a warm towel. Alathea could only watch as Lia silently scold herself. It her another few minutes until she's satisfied and letting the empress go.

Feeling a bit better, Alathea stood up from her seat and approached the bed "I'll retire to bed now. I'm feeling a bit tired"

Wiping the tears from her eyes, Lia moved to cover the canopy bed with its thin white curtains as Alathea wrapped her body with thick blankets "Good night, your majesty" Lia and Nathan said in unison before leaving her be to rest.

Wolf didn't return that night

--

Morning came and Alathea had her fill from the breakfast that was brought to her. Since she had nothing to do for the whole day, she accepted the invitation from the queen to a tea party she will be hosting.

When Alathea entered the room, snacks and warm teas are already laid on the long table and the ladies are already sitting on their respective seats, surrounding the table. Upon hearing her name announced, the ladies stood up and made a curtsy to greet the empress. Alathea acknowledge them with a small smile and took her seat, right at the head of the table, the queen was sitting on her right side while the duchess sat on her left.

She did not feel left out when the ladies had started to engage a conversation with her while they enjoy the tea. Some would try to entertain her while the others had the courage to mention their sons for possible marriages which Alathea politely declined.

"My, your majesty, the second prince is quite lucky to marry such beautiful woman" one of the ladies commented, looking at the queen with a wide smile. The queen agreed with a smile and a nod.

The conversation continued on from then. Although tiring, Alathea got a lot of information from the nobles about the culture and a must-see attraction in Valhale. She was eager to see these stories with her own eyes and was hoping to invite Wolf with her but sadly, she failed to see him today as well.

"Are you alright, Empress Alathea?" the queen finally asked after they bid their visitors a goodbye. They are currently resting at the inner parlor that is exclusively for the royal family.

Alathea smiled at her and nodded "I'm only a bit tired"

The queen gave her a worried look as she watch the Empress stare at the untouched tea in her hand "I heard about our visitor" although she was a bit hesitant, she managed open the topic to her "Maids have been talking about it since yesterday and some says that he didn't go back to your bedroom last night?"

Lips going into a thin line, Alathea placed the cup back at the table "It is not much of a concern"

"But it is!" The queen exclaimed, placing both of her hands in her lap. Her outburst surprised the empress "Don't worry, I will try to talk to prince—"

"There is no need, Queen Leticia" Alathea said with reassurance "I expected this since I invited her here"

"But Prince Wolf is married to you!" Queen Leticia emphasized, she waved her hand and pointed at the empress' direction "This may be hard for him, but it is his duty the second prince of the kingdom. He should be by your side!"