Capitol XXXVIII

The horses' hoofs harshly drummed among the wetlands as they hurriedly ran through the trees and grass. They neigh and huffed beneath the harsh winds and rain. Dion was leading the group, wearing a cloak that barely covers his whole body. The large water droplets from the rain were colliding his clothes and skin while the intense wind would attempt to push off his cloak. They were shivering in cold but that didn't matter because they are highly needed back in the palace.

"The royal palace just received a message that the Halu tribe had experienced an accident with forest fires. Sadly, the chieftain's family didn't make it and we don't have news regarding the surviving members of the tribe. The Empress has also fallen ill due to shock" It was a short message but Dion managed to understand it properly in a matter of minutes. He knew that his family was suspecting that it was not an accident but was deliberately done.

Dion's hold on his horse's reigns tightens as he gritted his teeth in anger. It could be a warning against us. He thought, glaring forward. The horse felt his hold tightening and let out an uncomfortable neigh which he immediately caught up "was I holding too tight? Apologies Lena"

"I don't think it is wise to continue like this, first imperial consort!" Wolf exclaimed in a loud voice as he tried to urge his horse in matching Dion's pace "The weather's not intending to clear up tonight. We could get into an accident! Let's just camp for tonight!" he clicked his tongue and tried to wipe his wet eyelids with his soaked gloves.

The first imperial consort gave him a brief look and said "We can't! We don't have time!" and then, a loud thunder roared and slammed in front of them.

The heavy pour above the palace's roofs went louder and louder by the passing minute. It was almost deafening but not as loud as the intense scream of a woman who was sacrificing half of her life to bear the pain that was lingering around her abdomen.

Daquan nervously paced around the hallway while he unconsciously bit on his thumb, quite worried about what was happening inside the room where the Empress had disappeared into. Lynx was leaning on the wall with his arms crossed, he was showing an uncomfortable expression as he refused to take a seat even for a second. Although he wanted to stay calm, Hikaru can't help but cup half of his face with his hands as he tried to take several deep breaths. The three of them had already been ignoring the cold feeling of their wet clothes and had refused their servants' offer to change.

The cold didn't matter, it was bearable, unlike the pain their wife is currently experiencing. They could feel her. She's in excruciating pain and the scream she was letting out from the room was horrifying to listen to. It was unlike any pregnancy she had experienced.

A woman, wearing a soft green gown with her head covered in a white veil, approached them. She was followed by a few priests and priestesses wearing a white uniform. As she took her steps, a small chime of the bell rang across the hallway, automatically announcing her presence.

Edalia, the high priestess of the Empire. She had served the Undine Empire for twenty years, after succeeding her former predecessor who had provided the oracle about the birth of today's ruler. It is her job to be the messenger of the Moon goddess and her people.

A temple is a place where people could find someone who can use magic. It was something uncommon in the Empire, although it used to be a norm centuries ago.

Magic remained only in history books so people rarely had the capacity to perform such magical wonders. Some who could are those who work on the temple and the member of the royal family. The priest and priestess are known to have the capability to heal, foresee the future and hear the goddess' voice. However, their capabilities are limited by their affinities and thus provided with ranks. Edalia was one of those who are blessed with high holy affinities which gave her the opportunity to lead the temple. On the other hand, the royal family is cursed with a serpent's blood but not every member of the family has this condition. Alathea is the eighth cursed child among the hundreds of the rulers who ruled the empire. The history of this condition has remained a mystery among the citizens of the Undine empire.

The Royal HaremOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara