XLIV

Warning: Some smut

--

The sound of baroque music flew the air as the guest merrily mingled and danced through the night. Summer had already knocked on their doorsteps, so men and women wore much lighter and colorful clothing to match the event instead of a complete suit and a ball gown. The venue was an open ballroom with a high ceiling painted in renaissance style and decorated with glittering diamond chandeliers. There was also a beautiful fountain in the middle of the marbled floor that harmonized with the musicians' melody. Greeneries and flowers had effortlessly made the whole venue livelier with colors. Servants swiftly moved around the ballroom while offering new drinks to their guests. The sky was free of any nuisance; stars sparkled along with the calm presence of the moon and night breeze perfectly flowing as if it was dancing with the children. Children were also given the opportunity to enjoy the royal ball, playing among peers, while some had slowly practiced their debutante by mingling with children at their age. Among them were the Empress' children, except for her two youngest children.

Alathea stood among the crowd, looking regal with her light gold gown wrapping her body shape like a glove. Its skirt freely flew on her back whenever she walks around the venue. Instead of a crown, she chose a simple accessory for her raven hair made from gold which accents its emerald gemstones. She smiled among those who approached her to give their greetings, congratulating her for the princess's birth and complimenting her for the exquisite gown she was wearing.

Moon festival is a grand celebration to express their gratitude to their goddess for their Empire's stability. It is celebrated annually by the common folk and the nobilities for a whole week. They visit their temples to pray to their goddess during the day and celebrate the entire festival during the night. The Moon capital is vibrant at night, with its streets filled with traditional games, foods, colors, and entertainment. The Empire and the noble houses spent no expense on assisting with the celebration of the festival for the city and its surrounding provinces. They also hold an annual ball at the festival's last night to maintain a good relationship with the nobility.

A month or so have passed since Wolf and Adlai had left the palace. Rumors were still circling the capital; however, everyone never dared to ask her directly about it, fearing that they may offend the Empress and the royal family. The last thing they want is to upset the crown of the Empire. Anyhow, it seems like the rumors had started to die down with Daquan joining every social circle, he's invited. Apparently, women are easily hooked with scandalous rumors, passing the story to their husbands and even to their servants.

A distinctive group of noble ladies giggled as they comfortably settled themselves in the couches provided. One in particular and commented, "I haven't seen the other consorts lately" she held her glass carefully with her gloved hand. At the same time, her head curiously turned around the lively venue, wondering if she simply overlooked the missing consorts. "I have heard that the eight imperial consort had some important errand in his home country, but what about the sixth imperial consort?"

Carefully observing their environment, another lady slowly leaned closer to her acquaintances with her fan opened to cover her lips as she said in a hushed tone, "Well, I have heard the sixth imperial consort ran away."

"Why?!" they gasped, leaning a little closer with a growing curiosity.

Before the lady could even share her gossip, one particular female with auburn hair stood up. She curtsied as she noticed the fifth imperial consort approaching their group with a proud smile. The ladies saw her actions and immediately caught with her intention. They almost tripped as they tried to stand up and curtsy at the presence of the royal family. Daquan was wearing regal black and red clothing that was tailored from his country. A small accessory in his hair matched with the Empress' to signify his connection with his wife.