L

It's as if her ears were filled with water. She couldn't hear a thing as she stood there, staring at her husband's severed head. The sounds of scream, chaos, and death had been completely filtered out.

"ALATHEA, WE NEED TO RETREAT!"

"YOUR MAJESTY!"

Catapults launched massive projectiles in the air, killing hundreds of knights on the ground. Valhalle had started to launch their arrows along, ignoring even the lives of their fellow Valhallan knights. The sky has already turned dark, and rain has poured down, drenching everyone in rain and blood.

"Why?" she mumbled, balling her hands into fists. "WHY?!" she shouted, whipping her head upward as she glared right in Wolf's direction.

King Farron couldn't help but let out a mocking whistle. One of his aides came running with a large umbrella to cover him from the rain while wiping a few droplets in his shoulders with a clean cloth. His eyes carefully moved to try and see his son's reaction, but he was disappointed to see him unfazed. If he could act differently, he could use more entertainment with this drama.

Wolf stopped from his tracks, his hands gently gripping on the reins of his horse. Despite the noise around them, he could still hear her voice filled with anger and hatred. He gave her one last look before pushing himself upon his horse. I don't have time for this.

Alathea could feel her chest as if exploding in intense anger. She didn't care anymore. She needed him to pay for everything—for her pain, for her family.

For Adlai.

Her eyes landed on the long spear next to her, and before Lynx's voice could even have a chance to pull her out from her painful thoughts. She grabbed the spear from the mud and poured all her energy into throwing it right in Wolf's direction.

"Your highness!" Wolf heard some of the knights call in a panic. They attempted to sprint forward to protect him, but it was already too late.

The horse neighed in pain as it felt something sharp and long penetrate its back. Wolf tried to control his horse and maintain his balance. However, it acted on its own—stood and struggled until they both fell to the ground. He made a surprised sound as he found himself rolling on the mud.

"This is for Adlai!" He heard her scream; his body automatically rushed to put himself up, unsheathing his sword. His reaction was just in time for him to block the two blades that the Empress was holding. Alathea felt her anger bubbling as she noticed Adlai's remaining blood on his blade. She tightened her hold on her swords and forced all the strength forward, pushing Wolf from his stand. "DIE!" she spatted, scales appearing all over her body as she successfully knocked him off his feet.

"Alathea!" Lynx called out, attempting to approach his wife. However, Valhalllan knights were quick to block his path. "Get the fuck out of my way!" he gritted his teeth and whipped his spear around, threatening them.

Wolf was quick on his feet. Ignoring the sticky feeling of the mud on his clothes and body, he pursed his lips and rushed to parry all of Alathea's attacks. He kept his defensive position, mostly blocking all her attacks rather than charging against her.

Alathea landed a heavy attack against his blade. The sound of their blades clashing had almost covered the chaos all over them, only to fuel the Empress' anger. "MURDERER!" She shouted. It was Wolf's time to push her back, and she managed to maintain her stance, her feet sliding backward for a bit. "How can you kill him!?" she added, charging towards him once more. "He didn't do anything to you!" she bit her lip, her adrenaline rushing along with the flashing memory she had with Adlai.