Capitol XXXVII

A heavy sigh escaped Wolf's lips as he stayed still on the temporary tent that they had been staying. The storm has been growing stronger than ever. He could hear the harsh wind and the heavy pour smashing against the thick fabric of the tent, constantly disturbing the peace that he could've had.

It has been weeks since they were sent off on an expedition to keep heavy surveillance on the accident-prone areas. Since Undine Empire has some harsh storms during rainy seasons, cases like flashfloods and landslides are very common on some towns which is also the third reason of the immediate causes of deaths in the empire. This was not much of a problem for the empire. However, it got worse during the tyrant emperor's reign as he lived a lavish life without a care for his people. The damn that used to keep the huge river at bay was destroyed causing a number of deaths among the Barony of Leych. Thus, the palace has been doing its best to take responsibility of the late emperor's negligence in maintaining order and safety among the empire's citizens.

Wolf's suggestion of temporarily evacuating the people from accident-prone areas was blatantly rejected and was change into a rebuilding project and surveillance. So, as one of the most trusted people of the Empress, the first and eight imperial consorts were sent off to foresee the project. It was great from the start; the rebuilding project had come together perfectly. However, surveillance is still needed to make. There was no precedent event that caused any problem until the weather had become too unpredictable that they had no choice but to camp out and wait until the weather had calm down.

"We might stay here for another week if the winds don't calm until the night ends" Dion stated while he kept his eyes closed and his arms crossed as he was calmly leaning on his table. It's too loud outside, even his soldiers had to scream orders here and there just to make sure that their messages has been passed.

The eight-imperial consort moved his left leg to rest it with his right leg "then we might come back later than expected—will the court be alright without the first imperial consort?" he asked, pressing his cheek on his hand as he let his elbow rest on the sofa's arm rest.

Dion opened his left eyes to give Wolf a look and said "The third imperial consort is back at the palace, I'm confident he can stay in my position for a few more days" he let out an exhale and moved away from his table to comfortably take a seat in front of Wolf "However, I'm worried about the Empress. She could go under labor this month"

"Isn't it too early?" Wolf asked, showing a concern as he leaned forward with both of his elbows pressing his each of his legs "Don't women bear their child for nine months?"

Shaking his head, Dion answered with "with the Empress' case, she can go into labor at an earlier date—"

Suddenly, the tent's door flapped open and a messenger entered the tent unannounced. He looked rather breathless; the cloak that wrapped him had barely protected him from the harsh weather outside. Upon seeing the two consorts, the messenger immediately bowed and whispered a quick apology "I am the third imperial consort's messenger and I have come with news" the words that he uttered next was enough to send shivers on the two consort's spine.

--

"Your majesty!" the chambermaids called out with a loud voice, trying to follow the Empress' tracks with their quick feet while their hands were having a hard time pulling their skirts up just so it won't get on their way.

Alathea had carefully read the letter that Stellan had handed her. She was not sure what the content was but the unique blue paper gave her the impression that it was from Adlai. He loves sending her random letters using these unique and artistic stationaries that he collects from the travelling merchants.