IV

Alathea stood surprised as she saw Wolf inside the stable. Not only that, he was glaring down at her son, who is currently hiding behind the caretaker of the stable. Alrien was glaring back at him and had his tongue out towards Wolf.

"Your g--greatness!!" Alno panicked and quickly kneeled. "May the Moon goddess bless the Undine Kingdom and her greatness!!" he said, placing his forehead down on the ground, showing deep respect towards the Empress.

"Mother!" The little prince's scowl beams into a happy expression as he noticed his mother approaching them. With excitement, he let his feet drag him and took a sprint to the Empress' direction with both of his arms open for a hug.

Instinctively, Alathea crouched down to welcome Arlien in her arms before scolding her firstborn "You ran off again. How many times do I have to tell you not to worry your personal attendants? They've been looking everywhere for you" her amethyst eyes scanned for his body, quickly checking him if her son is unharmed. Once she noticed that he looked clean and fine, except the sole of his shoes almost covered in hay, she placed a hand on his small cheek and gently ran her thumb on it. "You're bothering Alno as well."

Arlien pouted. "I apologize, mother. I just wanted to help Alno."

Alathea smiled at him and pressed a kiss on his temple. She looked at Wolf, who was quietly observing the two. "May I ask what you are doing here, your highness?"

Breaking off his glance from the first prince, Wolf's rubies fell on her figure before answering, "I was merely taking a stroll."

"and why were you glaring at my son earlier?" Alathea stood up. The soft gaze she was giving her son was no more as she quickly managed to glare at him. Wolf can quite tell that she was on guard, but it wasn't surprising after what happened. "Surely, he did not do anything disrespectful to you?"

Instead of answering, Wolf remained quiet. He tried to contemplate whether it was worth answering or not. The stable was filled with quiet snorts from the horses and wind gushing in and out of the stables. Without a thought, Wolf's eyes landed on Alathea's bare shoulder as he noticed the cold wind moving around the stables. She could get a cold if she's not careful, but it seems like the breeze didn't bother her; her entire attention was pointed at the silver-haired man in front of her.

Alno took the privilege to answer the Empress' question out of nowhere since he could not take the atmosphere between the two. The atmosphere felt too cold and constricting, and the two royal blood were seemingly too wary of each other's presence. Like an encounter between two powerful predators, "I can assure you, your greatness, that his highness didn't do anything disrespectful towards the first prince. It was rather the first prince who had been rude towards his highness." He closed his eyes for a moment as he silently thought of an apology to the first prince for telling the empress the truth "He actually helped the prince before he fell when he tripped"

Hearing the caretaker's statement, Alathea looked back down at her son. "Was it true, Alrien?" She saw how Alrien stood while he played with his midnight blue hair, a mannerism he usually does when he is feeling guilty. Noticing this, she quickly called her son's full name and title with authority, indicating to him that she was in no mood to kid around "First prince, Alrien Valer Restault d'Athenous."

Alrien flinched at her tone. He quickly placed both of his hands properly at his side and formally answered, "Yes, mother-empress."

With a sigh, Alathea placed both of her hands on his shoulder and gently moved him to face the prince, who is still quietly observing properly. "It is proper for a prince to admit his fault and thank people for helping him. It would be best if you were not stubborn, Alrien. Now apologize to his highness; he'll be your father soon, so you must treat him well."