Capitol XXX

It's a peaceful night, that's what Stellan thought as he sat on the windowsill and stared at the full moon displayed on the dark night sky. There are no hints of clouds in the sky, rather, it was clear, and the stars were twinkling quietly. The Alba flowers were also glowing beautifully right outside his window and its scent had slowly entered the room. He closed his eyes when he felt the cold night breeze soothing his skin. He decided to open the window to let the wind peek in, but made sure that it won't cool the room since Alathea has been sensitive with cold because of her pregnancy.

Leaning his head back, he looked by his bed and saw her sleeping peacefully. He made sure to wrapped her with fur blankets and surround her with pillows to keep her warm and cozy. The two had decided to reside on the Alba palace for now, it is a palace solely made for Stellan. Beautiful and warm, that's how the others would describe it. It usually glows in the night as because of the Alba flowers decorated around the palace. The children would often come and visit the palace since they found it a good place to play around.

Despite of what happened earlier, Stellan was thankful to have such a peaceful night. He was able to relax and free his mind from worries even if it was just for a moment. Finally closing the window, he went down from the windowsill to sit right next to Alathea. Her breaths were relaxed and he couldn't help but touch her cold cheek. She automatically leaned on his familiar warm touch, smiling a bit in her sleep. He smiled affectionately and placed a kiss on her temple, mumbling a small thank you and placing a hand on her lower abdomen.

"I promise, nothing will hurt you" he said in a low tone, gently touching Alathea's abdomen while he stares at her flat stomach. He promised that he will protect his wife and child no matter what, even if it cost him his life, he will do so.

A soft knock came from the door, Stellan looked at the door with his eyebrows meeting in confusion. It was already late, who's bothering them at this hour?

Stellan stood up from the bed and grabbed the dagger from a small drawer beside his bed. Entering the life of a royalty had made him understood how their lives were standing at the edge of the cliff. No matter how security is tightened, there are still assassination and poisoning attempts to kill the reigning monarch and the royal harem. They could not trust anyone inside the walls of the palace. It is best that they are wary to save their own lives.  

He slowly approached the door with caution, the dagger in his hand was hidden in his back. He reached for the door and slowly opened it to take a peak outside.

"Still awake?" Blinking in surprise, Stellan stayed in his stand with a surprise expression his face. The late-night visitor was Dion, holding a glass of wine in his hand. He was wearing a white tunic, a black comfortable pants and a maroon robe to match it with. The first imperial consort lifted the wine from his hand and shake it for a bit before asking Stellan "Care to join me for a drink?" he pointed at the balcony facing right at Stellan's room

Dion just visited all the way from the Onyx palace in the middle of the night, how could he say no? Stellan nodded and excused himself for a moment. He placed the dagger back at its place and checked Alathea for a moment. He then grabbed his forest green robe before leaving the room with Dion.

He was planning to ask a maid to bring them a glass, but Dion had already prepared everything for them. Dion opened the glass door of the balcony and invited him to take a sit next to him. Stellan sat down and watched how Dion would swiftly open a glass of wine without using any corkscrew. This made the second imperial consort smile, it was just one of Dion's hidden talents that only Stellan knows about. After opening the bottle, Dion poured themselves a drink and handed the other glass that was half-filled to Stellan.

Thanking him, Stellan took a sip and let out a satisfied sigh. Dion is really good in bringing excellent drinks with him. Spending seven years with him had given them a chance to create a bond of some sort, drinking at night had seem to be their secret rendezvous. They often do this whenever they feel like it, visiting each other's quarters and invite each other for a couple of drinks and talks.