The Girl in the River (Bofur x modern!fem reader)

(This was supposed to be posted years ago and I'm not sure I never did post it. Oh well, it's posted now!)

Bofur was washing his extra tunic in the river, whistling to himself. The journey had been long and difficult so far, but Bofur tried his best to keep a positive outlook on life. It wouldn't do any good to let the circumstances get him down. So, he kept up his music and joking around and he whistled whenever he had a moment alone, like now. Although, he wasn't alone for long.

He heard the scream first, then he felt the cool water of the river splashing his face, his lucky hat and his dry clothes. Blinking away the droplets of water, Bofur opened his eyes and stared. There, sitting in shock in the middle of the water, was a woman. For a moment, neither said anything. The woman's eyes were as wide as saucers and Bofur was just as surprised. But finally, he spoke.

"Are ya alright, lass?" She nodded and then, furrowing her brows, shook her head. "I-I don't know," she replied. "Ya seem ta be a tad indecisive," Bofur joked, trying to lighten the mood and calm her down. She glared at him and he raised his hands in a gesture of peace. Since he was already wet, Bofur took a few steps into the river and offered a hand. For a second, the woman simply stared at it but then, shivering, she took it and let him help her.

Bofur blushed when he saw the woman's outlandish clothing clinging to her and he averted his eyes as best he could. The woman looked down and seemed to realize what happened. Bofur cleared his throat, trying to diffuse the awkwardness and failing. "I-I'm Bofur, lass." She crossed her arms over her chest, hiding herself a little so Bofur could actually look at her. "Y/N. Where am I?"

Bofur lead the young woman from the water before grabbing his coat and handing it to her. The blush that painted her cheeks was endearing and Bofur found himself staring. "I don't want to get your coat wet," she said. Bofur shrugged with a chuckle. "Don't worry about it, lass. It'll dry. Besides, the rest of me is already wet." Giggling softly, she took the coat from him, their fingers brushing slightly. Bofur looked into Y/N's (e/c) eyes and knew the rest of the journey was about to become very interesting.

Bofur lead Y/N to the edge of the camp. The others in the Company stopped talking when they saw Bofur approaching. They stared. "Wait here, lass," Bofur told Y/N quietly. When she nodded, Bofur made his way to Thorin. "Who is that?" Bofur glanced back at the woman over his shoulder before telling Thorin exactly what had happened.

As Y/N waited to hear her fate, a very short person approached her. "Are you alright, Miss?" he asked. She smiled softly. "I will be. I'm Y/N." The person returned the smile. "Bilbo Baggins, at your service." Two more people approached the young lady, both wearing expressions of concern. "You're all wet, my dear. Why don't you come sit by the fire and get warm and dry? My name is Balin and this is Dori."

"You are soaked to the bone, dear girl. Come and tell us what happened." Y/N let her gaze travel to Bofur who smiled and gave her an encouraging nod. So, Y/N let Bilbo, Balin, and Dori lead her over to the fire. Y/N sat next to Bilbo and shivered. "So, what happened to you, lass?" Y/N shrugged. "I'm not sure. One minute, I was on a hiking trail and the next, I was falling into the river. Could I be dreaming?" She hadn't meant to say the last part out loud, but the three males shook their heads anyway.

"Not unless we're all having the same dream, dear," Dori said, reaching over to pat the young woman's hand. She groaned softly. "Maybe we should have Oin take a look at her," Balin offered and Y/N's eyes widened. "Not to worry, Miss. Oin is the Company's healer." Y/N felt her skin flush. "It's not that. It's just...my clothes are all wet and, uh, a little see through," she muttered

The faces of the three males turned red as Bofur returned to Y/N. "Everything alright?" Y/N nodded, although she still felt uncomfortable. She pulled Bofur's coat tighter around her. "Thorin's decided that ya can travel with us until we find out how ta get ya home, lass." Y/N grinned and looked over to the brooding leader. "Thank you!" she called and swore she saw the faint flicker of a smile.

*time skip*

Bofur gave Y/N a spare change of clothes that night and helped her find some way to contribute to the Company. That was Thorin's catch. Y/N could stay with the Company as long as she could pull her weight. Cooking had been a disaster, as had map reading. She couldn't write as neatly as Ori could, nor could she sing or make music like Bofur.

"Thorin's going to leave me behind," the young woman said one day as she was stitching up her original shirt that she had torn. Bofur was next to her, doing the same to his own tunic. "No he won't, lass. We just need ta find somethin' yer good at." Y/N scoffed. "We've tried everything." Bofur chuckled softly. "Not at all. I-ouch!" Bofur cried sharply, dropping his tunic and needle to the dirt.

Y/N had his hand in hers in an instant. Without asking, she quickly cleaned up the wound and assessed the damage. Bofur watched her with a gleam in his eyes. "Lass, I think we found something ya do. Oin is old and hard of hearing. Could definitely use an assistant." Y/N smiled and opened her mouth to agree when Oin spoke up. "Yes I am persistent!" Y/N laughed.

That's how it happened. Y/N ended up helping Oin make sure the others were healthy. Even Thorin had to admit what a big help she had become. He let her travel with the Company all the way to Erebor. She never expected to get caught up in a huge battle.

"Lass, please stay here," Bofur begged and Y/N tried to argue. "Please, Y/N. Just stay. I-I can't lose you!" Bofur yelled before Thorin called to him. "I'll stay." Bofur grinned and turned away. "Bofur!" He glanced back at her over his shoulder. "Please be safe." He nodded and left Y/N standing in Erebor alone.

Y/N waited and waited. For hours, all she could do was wait as the sounds of the battle drifted from outside the mountain. Every hour that past made her heart sink in her chest. As she waited, all Y/N could think about was how much she hated that she fell into that river. Except that she didn't. She didn't hate it at all.

Because she had fallen into the river, she met Bofur. She got an adventure of a lifetime. She fell in love. She hadn't told him yet because the time never seemed to be right and now? Now there was a chance she'd lose him without ever revealing her feelings for him. So yes, she cursed whatever it was that brought her to Middle Earth, but she also praised it.

Suddenly, a merry noise reached Y/N's ears. Voices that she knew well. Y/N felt a smile stretch across her lips and it only widened when she saw the person she'd been waiting most for. "Bofur!" She ran over to him and threw her arms around him. The dwarf chuckled and wrapped his arms around her middle. "Oh, lass! If I'd known this was the welcome home I'd be getting, I'd have come back sooner!" Y/N giggled and squeezed him.

"Bofur?" she asked, pulling back slightly. "Yeah, lass?" Y/N bit her lip, uncertain of whether or not she should tell him. "What is it, Y/N?" he asked her, his eyes filled with worry. "I love you, Bofur. I was so scared when I thought I'd lose you." Bofur pushed a strand of hair of her face. "I love ya too, lass, but are ya sure ya wanna be with an old dwarf like me?"

Y/N nodded vehemently. "Of course I am. I'm sorry it took a fight to make me admit my feelings for you." Bofur scoffed playfully. "Nothin' ta be sorry for, lass. I shoulda told ya before that I love ya." Taking a chance, Y/N leaned forward and kissed him. Bofur returned the kiss happily. "What if I get sent back?" Y/N asked when they pulled apart. "I don't care, lass. I'd go with ya anywhere."