I Don't Have a Soulmate (Dwalin x reader) Soulmate AU

You smiled as you heard the door to the inn open. To your customers, the smile appeared genuine, but to those who knew you, it was obvious it was forced. Being the owner of an inn, you had the opportunity to meet so many travelers and each and every one of them had a different story. You would think that you would have met your soulmate by now, but so far, nothing. No mark appeared on your skin to show you that you had met the person you were meant to be with. You were beginning to believe that you didn't have a soulmate.

You turned toward the door of your inn and stopped short. A group of dwarves stood in the doorway. You'd never seen so many dwarves in one place. Sure, you occasionally saw one or two, but never so many at one time. Shaking off your shock, you smiled again. "Welcome! What can I get you?" The entire group looked to you. One, who appeared to be the leader approached, but your eyes continued to scan the group for a moment.

Dark eyes met yours and you froze. There was something about those eyes that seemed to draw you in. "Are there rooms available?" You tore your eyes away from the dark ones and returned your attention to the dwarf in front of you. "Of course. How many do you need?" He gave you a number and you nodded. "I think we can accommodate you and your company. Just let me make absolutely certain." With that, you practically ran upstairs to make certain you had rooms ready for them all.

When you returned downstairs, you found the dwarves waiting at the tables. You approached them slowly. "Your rooms are ready whenever you need them." The leader nodded and you turned to walk away. "Wait." You glanced back at them. "What is your name?" You smiled softly before telling him. "Thorin Oakenshield, at your service. Thank you for your hospitality. Not many would be willing to accommodate such a large group." You gave a little shrug. "I wouldn't turn you away. Especially not on a night like this."

You let your gaze wander over the company again and found the dark eyes of the intimidating warrior already staring at you. "Ale." You felt like you'd been slapped. "I beg your pardon?" The dwarf was elbowed by one of this companions. He flushed slightly. "Ale, please." Without another word, you left the group to tend to their food and drink needs. You felt eyes on you the entire time.

He quickly averted his gaze when you returned to the tables. "Here you are." You held out a tankard to him. He looked up again and, without breaking eye contact, took the drink from you. His fingers brushed yours gently. You could feel the roughness of his fingers, but it was light as a feather. But what caught your attention more was the tingling sensation that came over your our fingers when he touched you. Could it be happening? After all this time?

Glancing down at your now empty hand, you nearly dropped the tray full of ale. Where was once empty skin, there was now a mark...no, not a mark. A name. "Dwalin," you read out loud before snapping your head back up to meet his shocked face yet again. For a moment, neither of you could seem to move. Then, Dwalin did something no one expected. He got up and went outside without saying a single word.

You bit back tears and finished serving the drinks. "I'll be back with something for you to eat in a few moments," you managed to choke out. You heard footsteps behind you as you scurried away. "Y/N, slow down. I'm an old dwarf." You stopped. A dwarf with long white hair and a beard smiled at you. "You'll have to excuse my brother. For a long time, he believed he had no soulmate. And, given the timing, I can understand why he is reluctant now. Perhaps you should talk to him." You just shook your head and went about your business.

You didn't see Dwalin again until later that night. You had an arrangement with the local farmer. You gave any of your scraps to his pigs and he made sure you got first pick of the meat before he sold any. So, with buckets in hand, you pushed the door and left the inn. You nearly ran into Dwalin who was finally coming back to the inn.

"Watch yerself there." You couldn't bring yourself to reply. "Let me help ya." He took one of the buckets from you. "Lead the way." You began walking. Neither of you said anything as you walked. In fact, not a word was spoken until you got back to your inn. To your surprise, it was Dwalin who broke the silence.

"'M sorry. I know my reaction hurt ya. But I don't think I have a soulmate." You rolled your eyes and lifted your hand. "This says differently." Dwalin nodded. "Guess so. 'Tis just, I can't guarantee I'll be good fer ya." You arched a brow, prompting him to continue. "We, all of us, are goin' home. Ta Erebor. Can't promise I'll survive." At that, you felt your heart soften.

"That's what that was about?" Dwalin nodded and you contemplated for a moment. "Why don't we make a deal?" Dwalin sat on the bench outside the door and asked what you meant. You smiled to yourself. At least he was giving you a chance. "Go on your journey. I will be here, living my life to the fullest. If you survive, return here...to me and then we can try to see if there's something to this whole soulmate business."

"And if I still don't believe?" You licked your lips. "Then you tell me. I won't make you promise me anything, Dwalin. I cannot imagine what all you've been through to make you believe that you don't deserve a soulmate, but I hope to change your mind one day." Dwalin looked at you like you had a third eye. "Why would ya do that?" You shook your head with a laugh. "Because until today, I was starting to think like you. That I didn't have a soulmate. Now that I know I do, I don't want to throw it away without at least trying."

"'M old, Y/N. But yer right. We shouldn't toss away what was given ta us. I accept yer deal...as long as ya promise not to wait around mopin'." You busted out laughing and nodded. "Deal. I'll make a believer of you yet, Dwalin." You shyly slipped your hand into his and he flushed. "Ya know what? I don't doubt it," he muttered, giving your hand a squeeze.