Never Been Courted pt. 3 (Thorin x fem!reader)

(A/N: You should read parts 1&2 first so it makes sense! Mentions of attempted murder and implied sexy times!)

You felt your knees shaking as you entered the dining hall. The other ladies were already seated and turned to face you as you entered with Thorin behind you. "Late once again, Lady Y/N?" the woman from earlier, Malena, sneered. You gave her a smile. You weren't about to rub her nose in your news just yet. You'd let Thorin do that. "Forgive me. I did not mean to keep everyone waiting." You hurried over to the empty seat with Thorin hot on your heels. Throughout your stay, you and the other ladies had switched seats at dinner so each one of you could be near Thorin at some point. Just your luck, it was your turn to sit to his left and your main competitor sat to his right.

"Good evening, Your Majesty," Malena greeted with a saccharine grin. You wanted to gag and you could see Thorin fighting back a laugh. "Good evening, Lady Malena. Let us enjoy our celebratory feast." He gave you a small smile that you returned. Malena's eyes darted between you for a second, but she said nothing. "Are you going to share who you've chosen, Your Majesty?" she asked and Thorin nodded. "I am. But first we should eat." The talking quieted and the sounds of plates being filled and eaten from filled the room.

Throughout dinner, all the ladies kept casting glances around the room. All of them were wondering who it was Thorin had chosen as he bride. The only one who didn't seem to garner any attention was you. You were partially pleased about that, especially because you kept feeling Thorin's hand on your knee off and on. You bit back your smile as you tried to keep up with the conversations.

"I must say that gown is very suiting to you, Lady Y/N," Malena said to you suddenly. You arched a brow. It was easy for you to tell she was being polite simply because Thorin was sitting right there. You smiled. "Thank you, Lady Malena. It was a gift from...someone special." You saw Thorin smile out of the corner of your eye. "Of course. Whoever gifted it to you has wonderful taste. It is the most fashionable thing I've seen you wear." You forced the smile to stay on your face. Not that it was difficult. You knew the truth and it was wonderful feeling.

Dinner was over much more quickly that night than any other. All the ladies were on edge as they waited for Thorin to make his announcement. Thorin stood and cleared his throat the moment he was finished with his meal. All sound in the room silenced. You had never heard it so quiet in there. You could hear a pin drop. Everyone looked at Thorin expectantly and you saw the tips of his ears turn pink. Even as a king, he didn't like a lot of attention on him. Yet another way you were perfect for one another.

Thorin cleared his throat once more as his eyes scanned the faces of the ladies around the table. "As you know, you were all brought here so I might choose a bride among you. You are all unique, talented, and charming young ladies and any of you would be a good queen. However, during this time, I have discovered not only the lady best suited to be my queen, but also my One. I believe she will be the queen Erebor deserves and I only hope to prove myself worthy of her love and affection."

The ladies all smiled. Malena looked up at Thorin with a slight pout to her lips. You stifled a giggle. "And who is your choice, Your Majesty?" she cooed. You rolled your eyes. You were pretty certain she had no idea how ridiculous she looked. Thorin's sharp gaze looked at her for a moment before softening again. Without a word, he reached out his left hand to you. You took it and let him help you to your feet. He brushed his lips across your knuckles. You felt yourself starting to blush as he turned back to the other ladies.

"I have chosen Lady Y/N. We will marry as soon as her family can make the journey to Erebor." Much to your surprise, applause broke out around the table. All the other ladies, apart from one, and all Thorin's servants were cheering. For you. The only person who seemed unhappy was, of course, Malena. She looked like she'd swallowed a lemon.