Hopes and Fears (Boromir x fem!elf reader{platonic})

In a place as serene as Lothlorien, you would think sleep would come easily. That wasn't the case for Boromir. Gandalf's fall lay heavy on his heart and the call of the Ring was growing stronger with each passing day. He didn't want the Ring for the power. He only wanted to help his people. Just the same, he could feel its malice oozing toward him, trying to corrupt him. Boromir felt like he was going mad. Even though the Ring seemed to have lost a bit of its power in Elven wood, Boromir's mind was still plagued leading to a sleepless night.

To that end, Boromir wandered aimlessly around the wood. He hoped to ease his worries a bit and then hopefully get a little sleep while he still could. After he'd been walking for a bit, he began hearing a voice. At first he believed he was hearing things, but the voice grew a bit louder. It sang something in Elvish, different from the lament the others had been singing earlier, and it called to Boromir like a siren's song.

Ever curious, Boromir followed the sound until he stumbled upon the source. You turned your head slightly to look at him. "Your heart is troubled," you stated simply. There was no judgment. You were only stating this obvious. "Come. Sit with me." Boromir hesitated for a moment. "I'm not sure that is wise, my lady." You gave him a soft smile. "It is your choice, of course. I wish only to allow you the chance to unburden yourself before you continue on your quest."

Boromir thought for a moment. His eyes never left your face as he took a seat next to you. You continued humming the little tune as you waited for Boromir to speak again. "I do not know what to say," he admitted quietly. You smiled once more. "I have time. You do not need to rush." Boromir nodded and chuckled a little. Of course you had time. You'd outlive him by several millennia.

"I feel as if I'm going mad," he began softly, "The Ring...it calls to me. I cannot make it stop. I feel its corruption all the time. When I sleep, when I eat, when I fight. I know it corrupts. But, I hoped that I could use it for good. To bring peace to my people. I only wish to protect Gondor as I am sworn to. My head tells me I can, but my heart-my heart says I am wicked. I fear my corruption has already begun. And it is because of this that we had to go through Moria and why Gandalf has fallen."

Boromir let out a sigh of relief as he unburdened himself. You said nothing at first. You merely stared at him. It unnerved him very much the same way it had when Lady Galadriel had looked at him. He knew elves rarely spoke without thinking first. So, he waited while your (e/c) eyes stared back at him. It seemed like an eternity before you opened your mouth.

"The Ring of Power has corrupted and cursed many men before you, but I do not believe your heart is corrupted. The fact that you fear it so tells me that you have not fully succumbed to the Ring's power. It is clear to me that you have the strength to resist it and save your people. You need only to remind yourself of that. And you should share this fear with Aragorn. I am certain he holds the same in his heart. You must lean on one another in this time. You can help each other."

Boromir stayed quiet. He knew you were right. In this place, in this calm silence, he could think clearly for the first time since beginning the quest. Aragorn was not his enemy. The Hobbits weren't either. He had but one enemy at the moment. Himself. And he could overcome this darkness that was beginning to seep into his heart and mind. You were also right in saying that he had to share his burden and there were only two people who would understand. One of them was afraid of him and the other was...his rightful king.

"I am not saying you need to share now. I believe you have unburdened yourself enough for one evening. You are welcome to stay here with me or perhaps you would like to return to your lodgings for the night and sleep. Either way, I will not stop you." At the mention of sleep, Boromir finally felt his eyes growing heavy.

"Shall I sing again? I know that it was drew you here." Boromir felt himself blushing, but you simply smiled again. "Would you? It is a beautiful melody." You laughed softly and nodded. "Of course. And thank you. It is my own piece." Boromir blinked in surprise. "Oh? And what is it titled?"

Instead of answering, you gestured to him to lie down. Boromir did, gazing up at the canopy above him. He could make out the stars peeking through the thick trees and he smiled. It had been far too long since he was this relaxed. Your soothing voice washed over him and Boromir felt his eyes drifting shut. Before he fell asleep, he heard you say, "It is called Estel." Boromir didn't know much Elvish, but he knew that word. He thought his mother taught it to him when he was younger. The word had a very simple meaning. Hope. And that was what Boromir finally felt as he let sleep consume him for the first time in weeks.