Never Been Courted pt. 2(Thorin Oakenshield x fem!reader)

(everybody lives AU)

Since that night, you had stopped removing yourself from the social situations. You let your opinions be heard and heard loudly. You never sugarcoated anything you felt. The other ladies certainly weren't impressed, but every uptick of Thorin's lips and the shining in his beautiful eyes told you that he was. Weeks passed by quickly. You spent so much time with the other ladies, you learned how to tune them out. Until the one day the supposed "ladies" turned into gossiping adolescents.

"You know, the people will expect the king's bride to have a certain level of...class," one of them said, looking pointedly at you. You looked up from your stitching and arched a brow. "Then I suppose that rules you out then," you said simply before looking down once more. "Me? Dear child, you may be the daughter of nobility, but you certainly don't act like it. I mean, look at you."

You glanced down at yourself. True, you didn't wear your best gowns around Erebor except at dinners, but your clothing was far from drab. Of course, your hair was a bit unruly at times and you didn't feel the need to cake your face with make-up. And yes, you tended to slouch when working on your stitching. It hurt to sit up straight all the time. But you weren't ugly by any means and you acted with the decorum expected of you. The only problem you could see was that you had no idea how to court anyone.

"Whatever do you mean?" you asked, doing your best to sound bored. "You don't speak like a lady of the court. You're far too opinionated. You don't dress in the way a queen should." You let out a snort and stood. "And I suppose you think you are worthy of being the Queen of Erebor?" She gave a short, ladylike shrug. "I do. I have be brought up to think and act like a queen."

"Then perhaps you should return to your studies. Or have you simply forgotten that there is more to being queen than wearing fancy dresses and sparkling tiaras? It is more than ordering people to do your bidding. A true queen is compassionate to her king and her people. She has to be an advisor, but must also be able to listen. She must put the needs of her people before anyone, including herself and the king. Her first duty is to the people she governs. She should treat them with respect and understanding, but also be willing to discipline when necessary, much like a mother of her children. That is what makes a true queen."

Throughout your speech, no one said anything. Not one word, but you could see the fury written all over the woman's face. Then, as suddenly as it came, it had disappeared. They were all staring behind you. You didn't even need to look to know who was there. "Your Majesty," you greeted, turning to curtsy. Thorin wore a bemused smirk when he looked at you, but it fell when he directed his gaze to the other ladies in the room.

"My dear ladies, it has become clear to me who among you is most worthy of being my queen. I have made my decision." He bestowed a smile on you all and you heard the ladies behind you nearly swoon. "May I ask who, my king?" the woman you'd just be scolding asked, batting her eyelashes coyly as she stepped up next to you. You had to stifle a laugh. She looked so stupid and you could tell Thorin thought so too. The quick look on his face that most people missed told you so.

"I shall announce it after supper this evening. Until then, I bid you good day." He bowed, prompting you all to curtsy, and left the room. "I would not hold onto hope if I were you, Lady Y/N. After all, the king just heard your little speech. You clearly don't belong here." You gave her a fake smile. "Then I shall wish whoever is lucky enough to marry the king all the happiness in the world. Good day, ladies." With that, you left the room and made your way to your chambers.

Once there, you jumped slightly. "Forgive me, my lady. The king has asked me to help you dress for supper. He is insisting you wear this gown." Your brows furrowed. "Gown?" The maid nodded. "Yes." You glanced at the gown laid out on the bed. It was stunning. Blue and gold with little jewels sewn into it. It was one of the most extravagant gowns you'd ever worn, but its extravagance was in simple taste. It seemed Thorin knew your style well.

"I cannot possibly," you muttered and the maid nodded once more. "Please my lady. His Majesty wants nothing more than to see you in this gown." You frowned slightly, wondering why Thorin cared so much. "Have the other ladies been gifted with such beautiful attire?" The maid shrugged. "I am not certain. My job is to help you. The other ladies have been assigned other maids." Knowing you couldn't refuse the king, you let her help you into the gown.

A little later, you were escorted to supper, but not where you usually went. Instead, you escorted to a private room. The maid opened the door and you were taken aback at the sight of Thorin standing there, his attire matching your own. "Y-Your Majesty." You curtsied quickly and he smiled. "Thank you, Dis." you eyes widened. "Princess Dis?" The maid smiled. "Of course, child. You think my brother would let just anybody assist his O-"

"Thank you, Dis," Thorin said again, a little more firmly. Dis grinned and scurried from the room. You felt yourself blushing furiously under Thorin's intense gaze. "Forgive me for the secrecy, my lady. There is something I must ask you and I wanted to do so away from prying eyes." You bit your lip. "Your Majesty, if this is about what I said earlier, I know I shouldn't have been forward with my opinion."

You were aware that you began to ramble again. It seemed you couldn't help it around Thorin. He began to chuckle happily. "My lady, it is not because of what you said earlier, although it did solidify my decision." Your brows furrowed and you cocked your head to the side. "I had made my decision about my bride nearly a week ago, but your speech made realize that I have made the right choice. I would have no other woman by my side other than you, Y/N."

You nearly choked on the surprised cough that escaped you. "W-What? Me?" He laughed again. "Yes, Y/N. You. If you will have me. I wish to earn your love and devotion the way you have earned mine." You couldn't breathe. Thorin was asking you to agree to marry him. To become his wife. You! You thought you'd messed everything up when your mouth ran off on its own. You couldn't believe that he wanted to marry you.

"Y/N?" You blinked and met his cerulean gaze. He had stepped close and took your hands in his. "Will you marry me, Y/N?" You still couldn't get your tongue to work and Thorin shook his head. "Of all the times for you to stop talking." You glared at him. "There you are. I thought I broke you for a moment." You tried to bite back the smile, but to no avail. "Yes, Thorin. I will marry you, but are you certain it is me you want by your side?"

"I have known from the moment I met you that you are my One, Y/N and getting to know you over these weeks has only proven my point. I want no one else." You took a chance and leaned in to pressed your lips to his bearded cheek. Your face felt like it was on fire, but you were proud of yourself. Thorin brought your hands up to his lips and kissed them. "Now, shall we go to supper?" Your lips spread into a smile at the thought of the looks on the other ladies' face. "Yes, my love, we shall."