Too Anxious for Love (Thorin Oakenshield x hobbit!reader)

(Anxiety, slight anxiety attack, some fluff)

No matter how many times Bilbo asked, you kept shaking your head. However, in your mind and heart, you couldn't deny it. You had fallen head over heels in love. With Thorin Oakenshield. It wasn't your intention when you set off on the journey with the Company, but apparently your heart didn't get the memo. The problem? You had no idea how to show him how you felt. Every time you thought about it, you got so anxious you'd break out in a sweat and your body would start to shake. Not exactly the best impression when you try to tell someone how you felt about them.

After weeks of fighting with yourself, you finally gave up on the idea of Thorin loving you. Actually, you gave up on the idea of love altogether. How could you ever find love when the very thought of telling someone you loved them sent anxiety coursing through your veins? You didn't realized that a certain someone had noticed and would question you about it.

You were alone on watch and reveling in the quietness of the night when Thorin approached you. "Good evening, Y/N." You jumped at the sound of his voice. "Oh, good evening, Thorin," you greeted before clearing your throat and looking away from him again. "I have done something to offend you," he stated, making you glance at him once more. "What makes you say that?"

"You have been avoiding me. I can only assume that I have done something to offend you. Either that or I am in desperate need of a bath. I know you hobbits are sensitive to such things." At that, you let out a laugh and Thorin smiled. "There. Much better. Now truly, what have I done?" You shook your head. "You haven't done anything, Thorin. I promise. Although you do need a bath, you haven't offended me. I have avoided you in fear of offending you."

Thorin's blue eyes bore into your (e/c) ones for a moment. "And what could you possibly do that would offend me?" There it was again. That feeling of wanting to faint and puke at the same time. The feeling that walls were closing in and your heart was racing in your chest. You started to shake and Thorin noticed. He grabbed your hand with one of his and began rubbing circles on your back with the other. He spoke soft, comforting words to you and before you realized it, you had calmed down.

"Better?" Thorin asked and you nodded. "Thank you." Thorin's eyebrows drew together. "What had you so upset, Y/N? Is it something I said?" You shook your head. "No. Not at all. I just get...anxious when I'm around you." Thorin gave your hand a squeeze. "I am not that intimidating, am I?" You laughed again. "Of course not. I get anxious because of how I feel for you. I get anxious that you won't feel the same. It makes me freeze."

Thorin didn't say a word, prompting you to look up at him. He was giving you a soft smile and only then did you realize what you'd said. That familiar feeling started up again and Thorin noticed right away. He began rubbing circles again. "It's alright, Y/N. If it helps, I do feel the same. That is, if what you are saying is that you love me."

Your head popped up again to stare into those eyes. "Is that what you're saying?" he asked and you nodded, unable to form words. Thorin grinned. "Wonderful. Now then, there is nothing more to anxious about. At least not about this." You shook your head with a smile. He was right. You continued to look into his eyes and realized that you weren't too anxious for love after all.