Picture (Human!Smaug x reader) Modern/Soulmate AU

(a/n: I changed it just a bit from the request. I hope you don't mind.)

"Smaug!" you cried when you saw your friend. He turned to you and smiled. "Hello, Y/N," he greeted. He found it amusing that you still only called him by his last name. He wondered if you even remembered his first name. "I was just about to head home from the shop. Would you care to join me for dinner this evening?" he asked you. Smaug owned an antique shop. It was packed full of all sorts of antiquities and older artifacts. Your favorite things were the vintage books he kept. "Absolutely! Let's go."

A few minutes later, Smaug unlocked the door of his large penthouse apartment and let you in. You could hardly see since Smaug kept dark curtains over every window in the place, making it difficult to navigate. There were things packed into every nook and cranny of the apartment and most of them were similar to the things he kept in the shop. "You never throw anything away do you, Smaug?" He simply shrugged as he removed his coat. "You know, some people would call you a hoarder." He shook his head at the term and said, "Perhaps. I prefer to say that I am a lover of fine treasures." You chuckled as you tried to find a seat.

Smaug wandered into his kitchen to prepare dinner while you sat and waited patiently. As you waited you ran your hand over your calf, where the tattoo of your soulmate was etched into your skin. The tattoo was meant to be an mystical representation of that soulmate. A dragon. You knew who it was meant to be of course. The hoarding, the love of treasures and the constant travel to exotic locations to find his antiques. All signs pointed to Smaug. You'd never met anyone else with the qualities of a dragon.

He was meant to be your soulmate, but you weren't about to say anything. Smaug was your friend. Besides, what if he didn't acquaint his tattoo with you? You heard Smaug rummaging around in the kitchen and shook your head. It was a wonder he could find anything in this place. "Do you need any help?" you called out to him. "That's alright! I'll be out in a moment!" he called back.

In truth, Smaug was thinking and he didn't want you in the room to distract him. It was only recently that he'd realized the tattoo on his calf was meant to represent you. You had all the characteristic of that creature. Smaug had to consider whether he wanted to be with you. You were his soulmate, yes, but who said soulmates had to be romantic? Smaug quickly returned his thoughts to getting dinner in the oven before it got to be too late for supper.

Once he had dinner in the oven, Smaug poured two glasses of his favorite wine and returned to the living room where you were sitting, absent-mindedly running your hand over your calf. He handed you one of the glasses and sat on the couch next to you. "There is something we should discuss, Y/N," he began, but you beat him to it. "Our tattoos." Smaug exhaled loudly. He hated when you did that and you knew it. "Sorry."

He looked at you and found you studying his face. His eyes darted to your lips for a moment before returning to your eyes. "We are soulmates," he said plainly and you nodded in response. "It's weird, to be honest. But then, when has anything involving you not been weird?" He glared at your attempted to lighten the mood. "This is serious." You raised your hands in a gesture of surrender. His eyes went back to your lips.

In a second, his lips were on yours. It didn't last long before he pulled away. You both laughed and shared a look of disgust. "Nope!" you said with another chuckle. "I do believe we are better as friends, Y/N. Just friends. That was just far too..." he trailed off, trying to find the right word. "Awkward?" He nodded. "I agree. I think soulmates can be friends. I don't think they have to be lovers. A picture on our skin shouldn't dictate who we spend our lives with," you explained and Smaug wholeheartedly agreed. "Now that that's out of the way, shall we eat?" you asked. He rolled his eyes. "Always thinking with your stomach, my little hobbit friend."