Centuries Passed (Legolas x fem!elf reader)

Your breath caught when you saw him. Elves rarely fell in love. In fact, real love for an elf only happened once, or so they said. You had found your love more than a century ago and, when you left Mirkwood, you left him behind along with your heart. The worst part? You left without telling him a thing. You left him believing that you didn't love him.

Legolas, son of Thranduil, prince of the Woodland Realm was the elf who had capture your heart so many years ago. And now, here he was again in the home of your father and sister. Technically, it was your home too, but unlike most female elves, you didn't stay put. You had refused to be content being a healer or musician. You had wanted more. You had wanted to be a Ranger and a Ranger you became.

When Aragorn had told you there was to be a council meeting in Imladris, you jumped at the chance to go home. You didn't know that Legolas would be there. It almost hurt to see him. His icy blue eyes met your gaze and he froze briefly. "My lady Y/N," he greeted. You gave him a traditional Elvish greeting. "My Prince," you whispered. You knew he didn't want others to know about his heritage yet. You didn't have a chance to continue your conversation before the meeting began.

The meeting ended with a mission. A mission to destroy the One Ring. A mission you readily sign up for, along with Aragorn and Legolas. Legolas hadn't appeared too happy when you offered your services to the quest. You weren't sure why it bothered him so.

You and Legolas often ended up running ahead to scout out your course. You tried to keep your mind on the mission, but it was difficult with Legolas so close. "You left," he said to you one evening when the two of you were on watch. You glanced at him in surprise. He really hadn't said much to you since the journey began.

"I left," you replied. He asked you why. "You knew I had a purpose beyond the walls of Imladris and beyond the borders of your father's realm. I couldn't stay." Legolas set down the sword he'd been sharpening. "You never gave anyone a chance to give you a reason to stay." You chuckled bitterly. "And who do you believe would have given me that reason?"

"I would," he answered right away. You arched a brow. "Pardon?" Legolas turned in his seat to face you fully. "I would have given you a reason or was I a fool to believe that you felt the same for me as I felt for you? As I still feel for you." You stilled, trying to wrap your head around the situation. Was he saying what you thought he was saying.

Legolas could tell you didn't believe him. How could you? Centuries had passed since you'd last seen each other. Why would anyone hold onto feeling that long? "I know it has been a long time, Y/N, but it is true. I have loved you since the day you journeyed into my father's realm the first time." You scoffed a little. "And yet you said nothing."

"And neither did you," he fired back. Your eyes widened in surprise. He had known all this time. "I said nothing because I knew you had a destiny, Y/N. I didn't want to keep you from it." You reached over and put your hand on his. "Legolas, words cannot express what I feel for you. I did not tell you because I knew I would be leaving and I didn't want to hurt you." Legolas laughed a little.

Legolas stood and took your hands in his. He pulled you up. "I do not want to waste any more time, Y/N. Too much has passed." You nodded in agreement."Yes, Melamin, it has." You pulled your hands from his and gingerly wrapped your arms around him. Elves weren't usually huggers, but you both spent so much time around Men that it seemed the right thing to do. You felt him pressed his lips to your hair. "Amin mela lle, Legolas." Legolas hugged you tighter. "Amin mela Ile, Y/N."