Just the Way You Are (Thranduil x reader) Modern AU

(a/n: This is a Songfic based on "Just the Way You Are" by Billy Joel.)

You stood in front of the mirror in the bathroom and sighed over the sound of the radio playing. You'd been trying for weeks to think of ways you could change. It wasn't that you didn't like the way you looked. It was the fact that your relationship with your boyfriend seemed to be lacking something now and you wondered if Thranduil was becoming bored with you. After all, "familiarity breeds contempt." You'd always hated that saying, but now it seemed to be happening.

You picked up the box of hair color and studied the packaging. You were so lost in thought, you didn't hear Thranduil come into the room. "Y/N?" You jumped at the sound of his voice. You stepped out of the bathroom, the box still in your hand and found your boyfriend studying the bags of clothing you'd left sitting on the bed. "You went shopping, I see," he lulled. He peered into the bags and his dark brows furrowed. "These things do not appear to be your usually style, Melamin."

"I just thought it was time for a change," you whispered. He raised his icy blue eyes to meet yours. Then, he noticed the hair dye in your hands. "Y/N? What is all this?" You gazed up at him. "I...I just thought, maybe, you'd like it if I changed a bit. I thought it would help us," you answered softly. Thranduil took a step closer to you, his eyes filled with sorrow and regret. "Oh, my love." He wrapped his arms around you and hugged you close as your favorite Billy Joel song began playing.

Don't go changing to try and please me
You never let me down before
Don't imagine you're too familiar
And I don't see you anymore

I wouldn't leave you in times of trouble
We never could have come this far
I took the good times; I'll take the bad times
I'll take you just the way you are

"This song describes this moment perfectly, Y/N," Thranduil whispered to you. He shifted his hold slightly so he could start dancing with you. "We've been together for so long, I suppose I have begun to take advantage of your presence in my life and for that I am sorry, but trust me when I say, you don't need to change anything about yourself. And especially not for me."

Don't go trying some new fashion
Don't change the color of your hair
You always have my unspoken passion
Although I might not seem to care

I don't want clever conversation
I never want to work that hard
I just want someone that I can talk to
I want you just the way you are

Thranduil continued to dance around the room with you as the song played in the background, the whole time telling you exactly what it was he loved about you. "I love your (h/c) hair that smells like (f/s). I adore the way your (e/c) sparkle when you find something really funny. I love how you can wear sweat pants or jeans one minute and then turn around and wear the sexiest outfit the next and still look insanely beautiful."

There were tears in your eyes now, but he didn't give you a chance to say anything as he continued, "I love the way you glare at me when I try and talk to you before you've had your coffee. I love how you aren't afraid to put me in my place when I need it. I know I work a lot and I love that you are always waiting when I get home, no matter how late. And I love how I can go from having the deepest of conversations with you to laughing about some ridiculously bad joke you heard. I love that I can just talk to you."

I need to know that you will always be
The same old someone that I knew
What will it take till you believe in me
The way that I believe in you?

I said I love you and that's forever
And this I promise from the heart
I could not love you any better
I love you just the way you are

The tears were running freely down your face at this point. Thranduil smiled down at you as the song ended. "Do you believe me?" You nodded slowly and stood up on tip toe to press a kiss to his lips. "I love you, Thranduil," you whispered. "And I love you, Y/N. Just the way you are."