At First Glance (Lindir x fem!elf reader)

Your breathe caught in your throat as you looked down at the beautiful scene in front of you. Imladris. Rivendell. You had been there as an elfling, but you couldn't remember it. Looking at it now, you were taken back by the enchanting beauty of it. "Does it bring back memories, Y/N?" You smiled at Gandalf. "I would had I not been an elfling when I was last here, Mithrandir." You heard Thorin grumble next to you and you fought the urge to roll your eyes.

It was no secret how Thorin felt about elves and, at first, you had been no exception. Thorin hadn't trusted you when you stumbled upon his company in the wilderness. Still, you'd proven yourself to him and he was coming to trust you. However, that didn't mean he trusted Lord Elrond or the other elves of Imladris.

You tuned out Thorin's complaints as your little group traveled down into the valley. You felt the pull of "home" the closer you got. It was a strange feeling considering Imladris wasn't your home. Your home had been Lothlorien. Perhaps it was simply the idea of being around your own kind again. You would find out when you finally entered Lord Elrond's realm.

Meanwhile, the scouts had informed Lindir of the company's arrival and he was curious. Lindir didn't have much experience with dwarves, having lived in Imladris all his life. So, he quickly composed himself and went out to meet with the company. The first person Lindir saw was Gandalf. After greeting him formally, Lindir let his gaze travel around the company. He saw dwarves of every shape and size. Then he saw the hobbit. Bilbo was trying to hide behind the legs of the last member of the company. You.

Lindir's eyes stopped and he felt his breath hitch. It wasn't often that elves felt sudden rushes of emotion, but Lindir did. Your (e/c) eyes seemed to bore into his soul when you looked up from Bilbo. You gave him a small smile and a tradition elvish greeting before Gandalf captured Lindir's attention again. After a short conversation and the arrival of Lord Elrond, the company was escorted in Rivendell. You somehow ended up walking next to Lord Elrond and Lindir was on his other side. "Welcome back, my dear," Lord Elrond whispered to you.

"It is a pleasure to be here, my lord Elrond, though I do not recall much from my previous visit." You spoke with Lord Elrond the entire time while Lindir stayed silent. The whirlwind of emotion he felt when he saw you was foreign to him and he didn't know how to handle it. It seemed as though Lord Elrond knew exactly what Lindir was feeling because he kept giving him small sly smiles throughout the rest of the evening until after the rather rambunctious supper where Lindir attempted to talk to you and failed.

Elrond and Lindir were walking through the corridors when Elrond said, "Something seems to be troubling you, Mellon." Lindir blinked in surprise, although he shouldn't have. Elrond had the gift of sight. He knew things. "I do not know about troubling, my lord. I am...perplexed." Elrond smiled. "Lady Y/N." It wasn't a question but Lindir nodded and Elrond laughed.

"I do not understand why I suddenly feel this way," the steward admitted. "It is not suddenly, Lindir. You and Y/N grew very close when she visited as a young elfling. I am not surprised you do not remember. It was long ago. The seed was planted then and now that she has returned, it is beginning to blossom." Lindir was shocked at the revelation. It was not like him to forget something like that, no matter how long ago it was. "What can I do?"

*the next day*

You woke early and decided to visit the gardens. You were grateful for the quiet peace that Imladris offered. It was a pleasant change from the rowdiness of the dwarves you'd come to care for. Imladris was absolutely beautiful and you wanted nothing more than to explore every part of it you could before the company chose to continue the trek to the mountain. You didn't know how long it would be before you could return to the Hidden Valley, but you knew you would miss it when you left. Perhaps even more than you missed Lothlorien. This place had a certain charm that was missing from your home.

"Are you enjoying your stay in Imladris, my lady?" The soft voice took you by surprise. You turned to see Lindir standing there. You smiled at him. "I am, thank you. It is a charming place. I have grown quite fond of it in my short time here." Lindir returned the smile, but he seemed so nervous. It was rather endearing to you. Then, you noticed the lute in his hands.

"Do you play, Lindir?" you asked and he nodded. "I do. I have also been informed that you have a lovely voice. I was wondering if perhaps you would do me the honor of singing while I play?" You flushed. It had been a while since you sang in front of anyone, but the look on his face made it impossible to decline. "Perhaps for a bit," you agreed with a soft smile that made Lindir's heart beat rapidly. How could one person have such an effect on him?

Lindir began to play and after a few notes, you opened your mouth to sing. Your melodious voice carried through the valley, making everyone who heard it smile and relax. Your eyes met Lindir's and you could feel the spark between you two. Lindir felt it too and couldn't help but think that Elrond had been right. The seed that had been planted years ago had indeed begun to bloom, all thanks to that first glance.