Changes (Thorin Oakenshield x fem!reader)

Thorin watched you from across the room. You were laughing with Bofur and Fili. Thorin couldn't help but smile to himself. He'd seen you at your worst and now, here, he was seeing you at your best. You were genuinely happy and carefree for one of the first times since Thorin had met you. Seeing you this way, Thorin knew exactly what he had to do. When your eyes met his and you gave him a soft smile, he knew he had to do it tonight.

"Y/N," he called and you rose from your seat to join him. You gave him a cheeky grin and asked, "What can I do for you, oh mighty King Thorin?" Thorin arched a brow at your sarcasm, but chuckled just the same. You were the only one who could speak to him that way and actually get a laugh from him. "I would like to speak to you...privately." You cocked your head to the side in confusion, but followed him from the room anyway.

Thorin tried to keep his composure as he lead you to a private balcony. His heart was thundering in his chest. He had never been so nervous or afraid, not even during the battle. "Thorin? What is this about?" He turned to face you, a foreign expression in his crystal blue eyes. They flickered to your courting braid for a brief second before returning to your face.

"This is about you, or rather, us." He took your hands in his and held them close. "Nothing would give me greater joy than to exchange that courting braid for a betrothal bead, if you will consent to marry this old dwarf." You simply stood there staring at him for a few moments. He dropped your hands and backed away, but didn't get far. You reached your hand out and touched his shoulder. You couldn't believe he'd asked for your hand so soon.

"Thorin, are you certain this is what you want? To marry me?" He nodded and you closed the distance between you. Your arms went around his shoulders and you hugged. "I will never want anything more, Amrâlimê. Our journey together and the battle we nearly lost has made me realize that, if I truly want something, I must act on it." He reached into the pocket of his tunic and pulled out an ornate bead. "I took the liberty of having it made, in case you agreed. Do you?" You pressed your lips to his in answer, knowing that everything was going to change. You just didn't realize how soon.

You were married within a month and then came your coronation as Queen. You couldn't remember when you were so nervous, but you got through the coronation fine and to the feast. You sat beside Thorin, who wore a mask of elation. He hadn't really left your side the entire day, for which you were grateful. You didn't think you would have made it through it without him. You had been so nervous that you'd gotten sick several times that day and you were occasionally woozy and lightheaded.

You were lost in thought and didn't realize that Thorin was speaking to you. You jumped slightly when he put a hand on your shoulder and blushed when he laughed. He offered you his hand so the two of you could dance, but as soon as you stood up, the room began spinning and the next thing you knew, the world went black.

You woke up several hours later. Opening your eyes, the first thing you saw was Thorin. He had your hand in both of his and he was grinning widely, but his eyes were filled with unshed tears. "Thorin?" you asked softly, worried something was seriously wrong. "Oh, my love. How could you not tell me?" Your brows furrowed. "Tell you what?" His smile widened and he replied, "You are with child. Did you not know?"

Youreyes widened in surprise and you shook your head as you felt the tears of joyforming. "I am?" Thorin nodded happily. "Oin examined you afteryou fainted, Y/N. Oh Amrâlimê, this is joyous news! I cannot wait to tell allof Erebor. All of Middle Earth!" You sat up and wrapped your arms aroundhim. He kissed your head and squeezed you gently. You let your tears fall. Somuch had changed already and even more changes were coming, but you knew, aslong as you had your husband by your side, you could weather any storm and takeon anything life could throw at you. Thorinpulled back and let his hand come to rest on your still flat stomach. "Youwill be the most cherished child in all of Erebor," he whispered beforeleaning down and kissing your stomach.DfBu{;p֚