They Don't Know About Us (Thorin Oakenshield x reader)

(Song fic based on One Direction's "They Don't Know About Us." This is young Thorin, pre-Smaug)

People say we shouldn't be together
We're too young to know about forever
But I say they don't know what they talk, talk, talkin' about (Talk, talk, talkin' about)

'Cause this love is only getting stronger
So I don't wanna wait any longer
I just wanna tell the world that you're mine girl
Oh

They don't know about the things we do
They don't know about the "I love yous"
But I bet you if they only knew
They would just be jealous of us,
They don't know about the up all nights
They don't know I've waited all my life
Just to find a love that feels this right

They said the two of you would never work. A human and a dwarf. Both of you were far too young to know what real love was. At first, you listened to them. You avoided your feelings for one another, especially Thorin. He was a prince after all. He couldn't afford to upset his people. But no matter what you did or what anyone said, you couldn't stay away from each other for long.

So, you began to sneak around to see each other. With every passing day, your love for the dwarf prince grew even stronger. Thorin felt the same, of course. He hated all the sneaking around. He wanted to shout his love for you from the highest place in all of Erebor. was going to one day, but for now, it was for the best to keep your feelings hidden.

Baby they don't know about
They don't know about us (They don't know about us)

Just one touch and I was a believer
Every kiss it gets a little sweeter
It's getting better
Keeps getting better all the time girl

They don't know about the things we do
They don't know about the "I love yous"
But I bet you if they only knew
They would just be jealous of us,
They don't know about the up all nights
They don't know I've waited all my life
Just to find a love that feels this right

Baby, they don't know about (They don't know about us)

Every night, Thorin would reflect on how the two of you had gotten into the situation you were in. The very thought made him smile every time. He thought about the first time your arm had brushed against his and how he'd blushed like a young dwarrow. He thought about the first time you'd kissed and how nervous he'd been and how sweet it was. He thought about how it was only getting better and your feelings were getting stronger. And with each passing night, Thorin didn't know how long he would be able to keep the relationship a secret.

They don't know how special you are
They don't know what you've done to my heart
They can say anything they want 'cause they don't know about us

They don't know what we do best, that's between me and you, our little secret

But I wanna tell 'em
I wanna tell the world that you're mine girl

They don't know about the things we do
They don't know about the "I love yous"
But I bet you if they only knew
They would just be jealous of us,
They don't know about the up all nights
They don't know I've waited all my life
Just to find a love that feels this right

Baby they don't know about

They don't know about the things we do
They don't know about the "I love yous"
But I bet you if they only knew
They would just be jealous of us,
They don't know about the up all nights
They don't know I've waited all my life
Just to find a love that feels this right

Baby they don't know about
They don't know about us

Thorin beamed when he saw you waiting for him in your special spot. The light of the moon reflected off you, giving you an almost ethereal quality. "Amrâlimê," he whispered, catching you attention. You turned to him with a smile. In an instant, you had him in your arms. Thorin sighed, burying his face in the crook of your neck and inhaling the scent that was uniquely yours.

Before you, Thorin thought he'd never have something so precious and special to him. When he was with you, Erebor didn't matter. The Arkenstone meant nothing. The only thing that matter was the you and how you fit in his arms. You were more beautiful than anything he'd every had the pleasure of calling his own before.

"I love you, Thorin," you whispered. Thorin moved his face so he could kiss your cheek. "And I love you, Y/N." You smiled and Thorin could see tears in your eyes. "Why are you crying?" You sniffled. "Because I hate that we have to hide. I hate that, some day, you'll be taken from me." Thorin's brows furrowed. "What do you mean?"

"Your father and grandfather will expect you to take a dwarf woman as your wife and produce an heir to the throne. We will be torn apart and my heart will break." Thorin reached up and wiped the tears from your face. "My dearest love, no one will take me from you. I will marry no one other than you. But you are right. I hate hiding what we have as well. I hate that they do not know about us. And I wish to change that." You looked at him in confusion.

"If you will allow it, I wish to put a betrothal braid in your hair, Y/N. I wish to announce to the world that I will have no one else but you. This is right. It feels right and the thought of not being with you feels more wrong than anything else in my life. So, will you allow me to ask for your hand in marriage?" Your tears were falling freely again and nodded, unable to speak. Thorin brought his lips to yours, kissing you deeply before pulling away to braid your hair.