Untitled Part 95

SHE GLANCED AT HIM. KAPAG NAKA-SIDE VIEW SI MICKY, KITANG-KITA ANG MGA mali sa features nito. There was a bump in his nose bridge, his lips were thick for a guy, his chin could use a bit of enhancement. Surprisingly, those flaws made him seem perfect.

Kung teen-ager siguro siya ngayon, she wouldn't throw him a second glance. She'd be crazy over those Korean idols like everyone else. She'd be swooning over those flawless, wax like and androgenous faces.

Thank God her teen-age years were long gone and that she was of a generation who appreciated a man who looked like a man. Micky had that rough and rumble quality about him. Parang kahit anong ahit ang gawin, he would have that six o'clock shadow. Mestiso ito pero mukhang permanente na ang tan. And yes, he got pores like a real human being.

Sa panahong ito na pati mga lalaki ay ipinapakayod ang mga mukha para magmukhang manekin, here he was. A Tom Hardy-ish Micky Tuazon. But she saw him being more of a Marlboro Man.

The Cowboy that defined her generation's romantic ideals.

She could not believe she was swooning. She could not believe they have been together since what? Midnight? Yes, a liitle after midnight. Maliban sa shower break nito, hindi pa sila naghihiwalay.

"Have you always wanted to become a lawyer?" Tanong nito. Nasa Skyway sila, south bound.

"No. Hindi ko alam ang gusto ko. Until Marife's trial. There was an image of Lady Justice in the courtroom--"

"Wait, what trial? Fe?"

Tumango si Olivia, "For murder. She's been in jail since 1995."

"That's a long time."

"Doon na s'ya mamamatay."

Tumaas ang isang kilay ni Micky, "You're not very fond of her too."

"I decided to be a lawyer because I've been both the accused and the accuser. What is a more fitting profession, really?" And Trini planned to be a lawyer, once upon a time.

"What were you accused of?"

"Killing Corey."

Napanganga si Micky, ilang saglit na hindi nakapagsalita.

"How come no one told me about you?" Sabi nito.

"Bata ka pa no'n, you just had a heart transplant, ini-expect mo bang sabihin sa 'yo 'yun ng parents mo kung alam nila in the first place? For sure, mas concerned sila na 'wag mong i-reject ang bago mong puso. But, I don't think your parents know.

"And by the time you met Corey's family, they were probably too ashamed to even mention my name."

"Why?"

"Because Corey's father tried to kill me. He shot me in the head. I was in a coma for a year. My father chose not to file a case and Corey's father was soon released from jail because the judge sympathized with a father who lost a beloved son. Dahil naniwala silang lahat na ako ang pumatay kay Corey. I was accused and Corey's father didn't think I deserved to defend myself. He judged me and sentenced me to death. Right there and then. I was sixteen."

"Oh, God." Usal ni Micky. "But who really killed Corey?" He glanced at her, their eyes met and he understood, "Oh, God."

"Now you know why you hated her so much. Pero hindi lalabas ang totoo kung hindi kay Trini."