(•forty-one•)

annies pov

hayden pushed me into the nicu. there were a few people there, three couples, a mom in the corner, and beth, the girl hayden told me about. hayden pushed me to the incubator where our son was.

immediately i started crying. he was just, perfect. so tiny, innocent, and hooked onto many machines. then we heard one of the machines go off. "nurse!" beth yelled, calling over the nurse and doctors. they rushed over to her. "no! bella!" she cried, then hayden held her, held her from the doctors who were trying to save her daughter.

"i'm so sorry for your loss." the doctor spoke to beth, as me and hayden sat by her.

"4 fucking months and no one saw a tumor at squeezing on her brain!" she yelled, crying as she held onto bella's hat.

i got scared, what if we loose our son? he didn't have any lung or problems so far, just is weak, but they didn't see bella's tumor, how do i know they can't see anything else?

the twins come to see me all the time but they can only see their brother through the glass. "ok, this is the best color." i said to hayden, holding the painting sample. today was my last day here. but not our son's. we didn't have time to paint the twin's room.

"they're all white." hayden scoffed.

"no, the undertones are different. see this has an olive undertone, and this had a yellow. we want a blue undertone, makes it brighter." i explained, then he grabbed our bags and suitcase, "i can't stand not being with him all the time." i told him, then he kissed me.

"he's doing good so far. they've done every test possible, we just have to let him get stronger." i nodded, then we grabbed our things and went to the car. we put the things in, then went to the nicu. we put on the covers, gloves and masks. "hey baby." he was bigger than the other babies, which made me so happy to see he was growing. now he was 2 months old, and had about two months left inside the hospital, hoping everything goes as smoothly as it is going now.

after about 2 hours, we went home. i didn't want to but we had to. i passed out right when i hit our comfy bed.

i woke up a few hours after that, seeing hayden was rocking the twins to sleep. "and the end." he whispered softly, closing the book. the twins were asleep on his lap.

i sat up, and she noticed. their room wasn't done yet so they still slept with us. i helped him, picking up theo and putting him in his crib, while hayden did the same with scarlet. "i'm hungry." i whispered, as we walked out of the room, hayden turning on the dyson aid air purifier.

"i'll heat up leftovers." hayden said, then i sat down. i am still sore, but mostly miss our baby. hayden brought me a plate of leftover lasagna. he had his own too.

"thanks babe." i said. i pecked his lips and we turned on the tv and watched criminal minds.