CHAPTER 2

“I can accompany you.” ‘Danger.’ He thought to himself but it didn’t really stop him.

Rishi woke up to find the nurse tending to the curtains beside her and it didn’t take the woman a while to notice her.

“Ah! Good timing! Mr. Rome just left. He managed to bring you your lunch.” May started as she turned back on the curtains and tend to them more. “Man, Mr. Rome’s students are so lucky to have him. Thoughtful, handsome, kind, hard worker…” and so on, the nurse was just talking whereas Rishi didn’t bother to listen to the rest of the talk.

Rishi looked at the lunch on the table nearest to her bed.

‘It’s already lunch time.’

“Let me?” The nurse asked while signaling her to touch her forehead – which she let her.

“Hm. A little better than before. Just let me check for the record.” The nurse said as she placed a new thermometer on Rishi’s mouth. “Once your temperature reaches near normal and you can stand normally, you’re good to go. Although I’d suggest you’d stay until you’re totally fine.”

The news lit up her face. To be honest, she felt a little guilty skipping classes because of a fever and don’t forget being late at homeroom.

When the thermometer was out of her mouth, she took off from the blankets and stood. Good – she stood up normally and doesn’t feel dizzy at all.

She stared at the lunch that was brought to her by Emette.

‘How can that guy be so attentive and at the same time be good into almost anything?’

She asked to herself.

Sigh escaped her mouth as she clutches her uniform near her chest. She is his student. He is her teacher – worse, homeroom teacher this school year. While two years ago they were both students. Even so, she can’t help but fall for him more whenever she sees every side of him.

“Where is he?” She finally opened her mouth.

“Who?” May, with crossing eyebrows, looked over her direction and saw Rishi holding the lunch. She knew right away who the student is referring to. “Ah, I think he went to eat lunch.”

“I see. Thank you for taking care of me while I was having a fever.”

“Well, I didn’t do anything much. You should thank Mr. Rome instead. He came every now and then during his breaks to come and check on you.”

No. The more she knows how he showers her with kindness and care, the more her insides hurt.

“I will.” She can only reply.

Emette’s now in the Science room, eating his lunch. Being the Chemistry teacher really comes in handy. He’s free to use the room whenever he wants to be alone – especially if he wants to repent and reflect to whatever comes in his day.

Of course, he’s worried about his students. That’s normal. But he knew deep inside that his care for Rishi is beyond what he has to give. She’s special – ever since he met her two years ago.

He gave off a heavy sigh and continue to eat. But before he eats his second spoonful, he heard a knock on the door. He turned his swivel chair to the opposite direction and the sight made him gripped on the fork at hand. The girl that’s been on his mind since this morning is now in front of his eyes. Wait – was it only this morning? He didn’t bother. He concentrated on his self-control.