CHAPTER 25

“Is it to meet her?” - Marcel

Passport – check. Wallet and ID’s – check. Documents, already at hand – check. Luggage, just gotten from pick-up – check. Emette Romerole just landed on Germany and now on his way towards his new destination.

Unlike his old town, places like Germany have these medieval-styled buildings, foggy yet clean streets, lights almost anywhere he turns his head. He’s not really particular with art or its history but he could still remember those lessons he had during college about them. Not that he’ll be able to use any of them since he’s not really here to study Germany’s structures. He’s here because of an invitation.

He called for a taxi and instructed the driver to take him to the written address on the piece of paper he’s holding. Basic German was not a problem. He learned from a part-time tutor about how he can ask someone to take him to a certain place and etc. He didn’t worry more than that. He won’t need it much once he arrives at his destination.

In his hand was the printed version of the invitation sent to him by e-mail. It was from Archdech Research Laboratory or popularly known as Arch Laboratory for short, according to the internet. Of course, he wouldn’t have come without even researching for basic information about the laboratory that develops most of the Robotic Technologies that are widely used all over the world. But that really wasn’t his aim. He accepted the offer since the Project Manager indicated in the invitation was none other than Kerchen Mae Domanast – a name from a past that he likes forgotten.

He got off at the main entrance where a man and a woman in black greeted him.

“Welcome to Arch, Prof. Emette Romerole.” The woman said to him while looking over her notebook.

He smiled in response, to assure he was the right person.

The woman held out her hand for a handshake. “I’m Loraine Sentiel, your guide for today.” Emette took her hand and they shared a short grip. Then she turned to the man beside her. “And this is Jerald McBeard, your body guard.”

“W-wait, I have a body guard?” Emette reacted after hearing the word.

Jerald really does resemble that of a body guard except he doesn’t have any shades on like the ones he always sees on TV. But then again, this is reality. The woman, who’s probably on her late 30’s, looks a lot more like a body guard than Jerald. But the tilting of her head to his reaction hinted that she wasn’t. ‘Do all Germans do that when they are surprised? ‘Sentiel’ doesn’t even sound like a German’s last name.’ He thought.

“Yes, that’s correct. But of course, if you wish to have a no-guard stay, we can process that immediately.” Loraine said as she took out a pen from her chest pocket and started scribbling down something on her notebook.

“Better. I don’t like being tailed everywhere.”

“We’re sorry. We secure every scientist’s safety whether they are inside or outside of Arch so most Whites here are with body guards.”

Whites she said. She might be referring to the scientists in their laboratory gowns.’ He internally laughed at the thought before saying anything else. “Then this place is dangerous?”

“Dangerous place or not, you’re life is the one that’s in danger. A world-renowned scientist who developed a lot of technologies applied in Medicine within his five years in the field is a candidate for target, Prof. Romerole.”

His brow raised out of amazement. “You’ve done your homework, I see.”

“All of necessary information regarding you, Prof. Romerole, is in Arch’s database even before the invitation reached your inbox. But don’t worry. We respect your privacy and will not be publicizing any personal information we have of you, unless you allow us, as per contract.”